Clutch life stock vs. FRPP

zeotide

Oct 12, 2004
Does anyone know if there is any designed in difference to clutch life between the stock 4.6L 10.5" clutch and the FRPP king cobra / HD clutch (the difference between HD and KC is the pressure plate)?

Looking around online the stock OEM clutch disk and pressure plate is a lot more than even the king cobra clutch kit at LIST. And the king cobra and HD kits have the release/throw bearing included.

The original throw out bearing is making a huge amount of noise on my car, clutch itself seems fine with no slippage or any odd behavior, but at 151K miles it's probably going to be wise to replace it while everything is apart. Not going to know until it's opened up of course.

I was just wondering if there is any life difference, I don't need the HD or KC clutch on my car, but even after bargining down, the parts for the stock set up are going to be more than the list price for the KC kit.

• Sponsors (?)

I was in your position when my first TOB starting chirping, and I decided to go ahead and put a clutch in while I was at it. A good determining factor you MAY want to consider is the OEM clutch has a 12mo/12kmi warranty against defects, the FRPP clutch has no warranty.

I went with the King on mine about 1 1/2 yrs ago and couldn't be happier with it's performance.
It's a bit heavy compared to the stock one. IMO it's a nice clutch if your thinking about lots of mods then it would be a good idea. But there are lots of different clutchs some better then other but I wanted FRPP.