Clutch Quadrant?

I have a Heavy Duty FRPP clutch in my car and my 2nd gear synchro sounds like it's starting to go bad (grinds on a hard shift when cold sometimes)... would a quadrant be a good upgrade to do? I plan on adding more power in the future and my clutch cable is still pretty new.

Thoughts?

-- cj

• Sponsors (?)

A quadrant is always a good idea but it may not fix your grinding problem. Wheres your clutch letting out? If its not letting out way at the bottom near the floor then the quad isnt going to fix it. Sounds like a worn syncro ring to me.

I agree regarding the shifting issue.

That said, my HD PP requires a decent amount of pedal effort - I would swap the quadrant as this pedal effort might take out the stock quadrant.

Good luck.

Yeah, I know the gear problem is in the tranny. I bought it used when I swapped it out to the T5. I'm not too worried about that I guess, just figured a better quadrant would help it with not wearing on it any further.

The Heavy Duty FRPP clutch does require a good bit of effort, that's true. I like that feel though. You're right about the heavy pedal and the stock plastic quadrant, I could see it goin' on me one of these days. I might need to add that to my to-do list here in the coming weeks.

Any thoughts on which way to go as far as quadrants?

I run a UPR Single hook quad, UPR extreme FWA and stock cable.

Were I buying again, I'd use the Fiore quad and FWA.
Good luck.

My second gear grinds alot too, mostly on hard down shifts, or when I shift and dont push the clutch in hard enough without realising it, I have a brand new king cobra clutch, MM quadrant and fwa, like said before it may make i better because of pedal force, but its not going to fix

Id go with a fiore, but my MM does just fine.

If you need a new clutch cable get this one, its OEM non adjustable, its the one I use and wont be a pain in the ass adjusting.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=374

I like my Steeda Double hook quadrant, and firewall adjuster. :nice:

08350lg.jpg

When you change quadrants, the adjustment wont likely stay the same. Pony up and spend the money on the FWA. You can get off brand stuff for super cheap (I've seen em go for under 10 bucks on ebay).

Good luck.

I dont see why the Fiore FWA would be required for use with the Fiore quadrant, but if I could only choose one Fiore component, I'd want the FWA anyhow.

Good luck.

How do you like your UPR firewall adjuster, Hissin? I bought one a while back but still need to pick up a quadrant before I put it in. Now I wonder if I should have just spent the money for a Fiore or MM adjuster.

I'm thinking MM for the quadrant... seems like they put a lot of thought into their design. Unless there's anything better out there now?

oh man, the fiore fwa is badass. So much better than the rest. It's got a sleave on the inside that rotates with the cable so the cable doesn't bind when you try to adjust. NO MORE skinning your fingers from a damn fwa that's seized. My sat for months without me turning it, and I came and was able to turn it with one finger.

v8only said:
oh man, the fiore fwa is badass. So much better than the rest. It's got a sleave on the inside that rotates with the cable so the cable doesn't bind when you try to adjust. NO MORE skinning your fingers from a damn fwa that's seized. My sat for months without me turning it, and I came and was able to turn it with one finger.

yep, i love my fiore fwa and quadrant. i used to have a upr quadrant and fwa and i cant say how much better the fiore stuff is. there are no set screws with the fwa, it clicks and locks in at 1/4 turn increments. absolutely no problems and i will never buy another brand. thanks to jeremy