Cobra Engine is IN! (the conversion continues)

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
Thanks to everyone who encouraged me (read: swift kick in the @$$) to drop in the engine myself. It took me a total of an hour: a half-hour to drop the engine in, and another half-hour to shift things around and get the tranny & crossmember in. The Energy Suspension driver motor mount has that stupid alignment peg on it that has to line up in the stock k-member. It took a while to shift the engine around until it finally dropped in. Prothane motor mounts do NOT have this alignment peg.

In case anyone is curious, all 94-95 crossmembers (V6/GT/Cobra, AODE/T5) are identical. I used my V6's AODE crossmember and it lined up perfectly to the Cobra T5. The same with the k-member, the V6 one fits the 5.0 just fine.

Now, for photos. Here's the empty (and clean) engine bay:

engine_install_1.jpg

Next, the engine is hooked up to the cherry picker and ready to be hauled over:

engine_install_2.jpg

Got the engine all lined up, ready to haul it up high:

engine_install_3.jpg

Engine's mostly in now, gotta line up the motor mounts:

engine_install_4.jpg

Finally, bolted down and IN!

engine_install_5.jpg

Here's something interesting I found when I was working on the engine. I had to take the 'Stang off of the jack stands and shift it forward to get enough clearance. When I pulled out the jack stands, this is what I saw:

jackstand_indent.jpg

It got so hot this summer, the blacktop softened and the jack stands sunk in a bit. Just the back ones, guess the front was light enough without the engine installed.

Gonna install an aluminum driveshaft and the exhaust tomorrow. Should be able to start 'er up next weekend (Labor Day holiday weekend); I'll be taking video of the first startup - we'll see if I got it right. :nice:

For any new readers, the previous thread is over here.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Congrats :nice:.

Something I found, sometimes a buddy actually slowes you down with all the BS'ing that goes down. It sure helps make things more fun but when you just want to knock something out sometimes alone is the best way.

I have the same issue with jack stands and my driveway. I do most of any work in the garage if I can for that reason. I had the DD up on jackstands to do a brake job, went to put the tire back on and the tire was almost not able to fit back on...it sunk about 1/2in. I think I am going to buy some little concrete paver caps like for retaining walls and put them under the stands from now on.

Had a good yet frustrating day, put in the new aluminum driveshaft :banana: and got the stock h-pipe bolted up. I despise that smog tube that hooks up to the h-pipe, I had to unbolt the crossmember to get it in. :mad:

To get this new beast registered in California, I have to get it inspected by the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) to make sure that I installed all the smog equipment, so I'm keeping the emissions stuff stock for now. Probably rip off the stock H not long after I pass the inspection.

Congrats. Seriously, think of what you saved! Now you can justify buying some more stuff. If I couldn't do all the labor myself I wouldn't be able to have modded out cars, you can really save a ton.

ALMOST had it!

If not for three wires, the Cobra would be running tonight! Everything needed to start 'er up was hooked up, all fluids filled, etc. I went to crank 'er up, and found the disaster. I have an anti-theft system installed, it prevents the ignition from turning the engine over unless you insert a special key into a small box under the dash. This box was hanging loose and three of the four wires leading into it had torn loose. :mad:

It was too late to pull out the solder gun, but we did test out the lights and such. Everything seems to be ready. *sigh* At least I'm nearly there. I'll have to leave you with a few photos of the engine bay.

engine_done_1.jpg

engine_done_2.jpg

engine_done_3.jpg

If not for three wires, the Cobra would be running tonight! Everything needed to start 'er up was hooked up, all fluids filled, etc. I went to crank 'er up, and found the disaster. I have an anti-theft system installed, it prevents the ignition from turning the engine over unless you insert a special key into a small box under the dash. This box was hanging loose and three of the four wires leading into it had torn loose. :mad:

It was too late to pull out the solder gun, but we did test out the lights and such. Everything seems to be ready. *sigh* At least I'm nearly there. I'll have to leave you with a few photos of the engine bay.

engine_done_1.jpg

engine_done_2.jpg

engine_done_3.jpg

It is looking great. Don't you hate when things like that happen. That type of stuff happens to me all the time and it pisses me off. Specially when i have waited long enough and just ready to get it going lol!!!!!

Of COURSE that wiring harness will fit under the splash guard....right.

Gcomfx was right way back in February, the driver's splash guard would not fit right at all. So I tried to re-route the wiring as best I could. It was still a really tight fit, and I hope the wheel doesn't rub, but it's only off by a bit. We'll see.

Wiring before:
day5_2.jpg

After:
wiring_redone_1.jpg

Before:
day5_3.jpg

After:
wiring_redone_2.jpg

Gcomfx was right, run the wires as HIGH as you can! I simply did not have enough reach to do this at this stage. :mad: If I ever hide wires on another Mustang, this is a lesson learned. Of course, that's an big "IF". The sad thing is, I have to look and see where I hid the wires, the engine bay is pretty full now. :(

I used my not-so-l33t PhotoChop skillz to show about where the splash guard touches the frame directly. The wiring has just one path up above to avoid the guard:

splash_guard_touches.jpg

As of now, the exterior is complete (minus the Cobra bumper, which comes later) and I've taken the Stang off the jackstands. I need to finish assembling the interior and mod a few things. I can't believe it, I'm nearly done! :eek: