Cobra intake need answer quick

Ray@VSK

Aug 27, 2004
This is a polished cobra intake off my 93 Mustang GT, what I need to know is this how the vacuum lines are supposed to go ?

I pulled the upper intake off to try & troubleshoot a lean issue I'm having wich was suggested may be a possible vacuum leak, I know when I took it off the gasket had gas all over it :shrug:

Oh does it hurt to use gasket sealer on this when I put it back on considering I am using a new gasket aswell ?

intake2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Ray@VSK said:
This is a polished cobra intake off my 93 Mustang GT, what I need to know is this how the vacuum lines are supposed to go ?

I pulled the upper intake off to try & troubleshoot a lean issue I'm having wich was suggested may be a possible vacuum leak, I know when I took it off the gasket had gas all over it :shrug:

Oh does it hurt to use gasket sealer on this when I put it back on considering I am using a new gasket aswell ?

intake2.jpg

small one at top on right goes to fuel pressure regulator (RED) , small one on top right goes to egr solenoid that is behind passenger strut should be (black)hard tubing line ... I think you have 2 going to the pcv where you only need one one that is under the plenum goes to vacuum distribution block on drivers side firewall that feeds the brake booster .... And the one that is turned to the left should feed to a vacuum line in front of the intake that goes to a solenoid and then to a vacuum canister under the air filter box ........

I am reffering to that vaccum tree in your picture with 3 different hose connections on it...of the two little ones the one on the far right goes to your fuel pressure regulator (my vacuum line is red)...the other vacuum hose (of the little ones - left) goes to the passenger side on this 4-way connector (I dont' know what it is called)...and the big hose connects to the "S" label on the driver side firewall (You know where it has like "S/C, A/C, S, etc..."...it goes to the S...

Hope that helps a little bit...

Well I know the top ones where they go, I just want to make sure I did the big bottom hose right ?

Also what you think about that gas being all over my gasket when I pulled it off ?

Well the big bottom hose (the pcv valve hose)...you only need the long part of that hose...you have connected underneath your intake in two spots...you don't need that hose going to the middle of your intake...just the one that is bolted on the outside...Plug that one in the middle...

Also that little 2-way valve (on the far left in that pic)..make sure it clears the valve covers...I broke part of my intake because I was tightening it down on the valve cover and it was just a pain...so I took it off and screwed it in more...

Well seems like I did have a leak as when I took it off there was gas all over most of the gasket wich I found odd, why would there be gas on the upper intake manifold gasket & once I fired it back up with new gasket & this time applying gasket sealer to both sides of the gasket it idled allittle higher than normal ?

also the cobra upper intake gasket I bought "felpro" did not line up very good, it actualy hung over & was short in some spots :mad:

You don't have to use the gasket sealer on upper to lower gasket..and only snug the bolts don't over tighten. You are getting a vac leak somewhere other than upper to lower. Also there should never be gas located in that area unless you've blown out your fuel pressure regulator which you should REALLY be looking at cause there is no way fuel can get up to that area when everything is as should be..EVER!!

Ya I know but I had gas on the gasket "inbetween the holes" when I took it off, or atleast it smelled like gas eitherway the whole gasket was wet both top & bottom that's why I used sealer this time.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE SEALER FIND OUT WHY THE HECK YOU HAVE GAS IN YOUR UPPER MANIFOLD!!! can you say fire hazard big time. You could very likely have fuel dumping itself right into the upper from the regulator not only pooring into the cylinders while driving but while at idle as well. Fuel is not suposed to be there you have to figure out why or you may end up with an insurance claim on your hands.

Ray@VSK said:
Ya I know but I had gas on the gasket "inbetween the holes" when I took it off, or atleast it smelled like gas eitherway the whole gasket was wet both top & bottom that's why I used sealer this time.

You sure the "gas" isn't a thin oily residue...that is common higher mileage 5.0's...

An adjustable fuel pressure regulator can be had for $70 bucks (Kirban) if you FR is messed up...

Good Luck

It may have been oil, it wasn't to slippery & smelled like gas but the fuel regulator or rail wouldn't have nothing to do with it being inside the manifold on the gasket, I was just asking because there should not have been nothing on that gasket, it should have been dry as a bone, right ?

If the smog pump is gone and there are no cat's. Can I just cap the evap canister vacuum port at the upper intake?? My hose is nearly shot and I think I am getting an irregular flow from that line into my upper intake causing some idle issues.