Cobra or Typhoon Intake???

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
Just looking for opinions on which is a better intake for my combo right now? I'm strongly leaning towards getting a polished cobra for $455, but a polished typhoon is only $380. I'd prefer the cobra, but will the typhoon perform better? I've read all the stories about casting flash yadayada..... i plan on porting anyways so i'm not too concerned. which is more suited to my engine right now? I want something that works well with my ported heads, and doesnt give up too much lower rpm torque

• Sponsors (?)

i just want something that will match what i have right now. i'd like to get a complete TF top end kit maybe next year. i think an intake will be a big gain for me right now though, until i can get the full h/c/i. i'm not really looking for an intake i can grow into right now, just one thats matched to what i have, then i will sell it in the future when i get the matched h/c/i package. funds are low, but HP is addictive!

if funds are low then why not just save the cash, thats that much faster to getting the HCI. not saying the cobra wont help, but i dont think it will make that much of a difference, i doubt it will be a "wow thats alot" difference.

paying almost 500$ for eveything you would need for a cobra intake swap wouldnt be worth it seeing how a good HCI kit is only 2k, that could a be 1/4 of the cost in your pocket saved up ready to go.

but if you really want to do it, i'd consider an explorer intake, its the exact same intake and flows the same and you can get them cheap, if not in the junkyard.

FF88 is right, for the trouble an intake swap alone isn't too great. granted you can tell a difference, considering that a head & cam swap is coming sono you would be better off to save yourself half a day or more (depending on experience) from the intake swap and just do it all together.

i've thought the same thing too, but i live in canada, so a h/c/i will probably cost $3k in parts with shipping and duties etc. (more before, but now the US/CAN $ is the same!!!:nice: ) I think an intake swap is something i could do myself, but a full h/c/i is a little out of my comfort level. that, plus the fact i'd have to do it all in an apartment parking stall.......:notnice: :mad:. I'm really trying to find a nice used cobra or gt40 etc for maybe $300 also, but its not looking too good. So the way i see it, if i have to pay for a hci install, i'll just try my hand at an intake install for now, and hope i'm happy with it. It will be a several thousand dollar difference, and i just cant do that now since i'm in school with no job.....