coilover guys, specifically qa1 guys

QBstang87

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2002
Montgomery Village, Maryland
is the ride loud? i wasnt aware it would be loud, and it is. any movement, as in dip even, to bump, to whatever in the road, is a thump. at first it was scary. i mean i haevnt driven the car more than a couple blocks, its barely running now waiting to be retuned, but i did the suspension work while the cars been down. i didnt do anything wrong that i can see.

and i hear this is normal from another guy wtih the qa1 coilover front end that is in my area. i just havent rode in his car to hear another car for myself. what are your guys experiences? with any coilover front ends even, not just qa1? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

My ride is pretty stiff/bumpy with C/O's all the way around. They are a little noisy as well. The trade off for cornering at high speeds is well worth it.

What shocks and spring rates are you running?

Tim

hal/qa1 threaded front struts, whatever comes in their kit. they are adjustable, adjusted all the way tight for now. and 130 pound 14 inch springs are on it. (this is only the front end, rear is still coil spring) and is setup for the track, i don't like cornering haha.

i aligned it thinking i may just be hitting or binding, it didnt change anything though besides make it drive good. so your car after coilovers is really loud too? like first bump you took a little scare to ya? i mean im already used to it but the first bump i hit i thought i broke somethin haha.

stang22 said:
I thought they were drag springs, with that weight anyway. What C/C plates did you use? Have you aligned it already?

Welcome to the C/O world.

Tim
oh and qa1 stuff for c/c plates as well. they are only 3 bolt but thats what they sell in their complete drag front end package so i figure they'll be ok for a season or few.

90mustangGT said:
If you hear any noise, that means something is loose or not fitting properly. I have the GMS kit with QA1 C/C plates on Lakewood 90/10's, dead quiet.

I would say I agree, but mine are installed correctly. I think the noise is more road noise of the stiffness of the car magnifying all of the bumps. Most people I have talked to about coil overs say they are a little noisy, but not hurting anything. I have the GMS kit, but setup to corner with MM C/C plates. Plus the fact that you have no upper strut bushing to absorb any of the vibrations of the road through the strut, the road noise if going to be magnified. The only bushings you have are the A-arm bushings and the sway bar bushings.

Tim

stang22 said:
I would say I agree, but mine are installed correctly. I think the noise is more road noise of the stiffness of the car magnifying all of the bumps. Most people I have talked to about coil overs say they are a little noisy, but not hurting anything. I have the GMS kit, but setup to corner with MM C/C plates. Plus the fact that you have no upper strut bushing to absorb any of the vibrations of the road through the strut, the road noise if going to be magnified. The only bushings you have are the A-arm bushings and the sway bar bushings.

Tim
thats pretty much what i figured it was from is the lack of rubber in the new setup. when taking apart the old stuff, plenty of sound dampening, big old rubber bushing. going back together i was like where is the new one...searched the directoins a few times and was like f it, it dont have it. i mean my cars setup real loose compared to your guys probably, that may have something to do with why i'm complaining about it.

I agree that something is wrong if you are hearing alot of suspension noise. Try to get it to make the noises by jacking it up and down and such. You need to reproduce and locate those sounds on the driveway, safely I might add. I have been running on an MM coilover setup for over a year and dont hear noises from it unless turning at slow speeds, and they are not loud at all. The top nuts that connect the struts to the CC plates do come loose alot. They will make a loud noise when there is slack there. If you dont have enough spacers under them, there will be slack there all the time. Check it out.

Do you have it slammed real low? That may be the problem too. I am running it close to stock ride height in the front with 250lb springs.

Rick 91GT said:
Personally I think the 130# spring is too light for that car with a blower hanging off the front. I would go 150-175#.

So how are things going been awhile since we have talked?

think 130 is too light even with nothing on the front end? i only have the blower and alternator, no ps ac air or anything...just that. and yeah long time no talk, been doin good...new motor last season, disappointed, so i got a great deal on a this from my old snap on mand and coundt resist. your work still stands great on the car :) . i have referred many people to you, given them your site. in fact just last night. but they all sound like they arent truely interested, i dunno fi you ever get calls or any work from my way. :shrug: but i try!

and jerry, i do have the spacers in it. the bottoms and tops. do i really need the top ones? cuz i only have enough threads to fit that big nut on, no extra, because the top spacers are so big. i didnt thikn i could run no top spacer though so i just zipped the nut on.

i dunno what to thikn now, so many mixed opinions. :shrug: :shrug:

I also had a loud clunking sound coming from my front as well. Turns out I had the Tubular A-Arms too tight. The spec for the stock was too high for the tubular ones. Might want to check that.

QBstang87 said:
i dunno what to thikn now, so many mixed opinions. :shrug: :shrug:

I wish I could help you out with the drag setup, but I have never messed with them. I am only telling you my experiences with my coil overs. I have had them on for over a year now and these are strictly my opinions. Mine are noisy and the car is very stiff and all bumps are magnified, but I haven't had any abnormal wear and tear on any of the suspension components since the install. I have learned to live with it. Sorry if I am making this worse for you.

Tim

Coilovers are loud and clunkity clunk. If they do, jack the car up so the CO sleeve slides up, get a roll of black duct tape and wrap it around the strut. Then drop back and the noise will be greatly reduced.

Get some tire silicone and spray it at the A-arms if you have tubies with poly bushings. It's real light so it penetrates well and lubes them up pretty respectibly. Those poly buhsings will make a racket all on their own.

crazypete said:
Coilovers are loud and clunkity clunk. If they do, jack the car up so the CO sleeve slides up, get a roll of black duct tape and wrap it around the strut. Then drop back and the noise will be greatly reduced.

I have also heard of people cutting a bicycle tube and wrapping the threaded sleeve up to help prevent some of the noise. I didn't, but my noise doesn't bother me.

Tim

crazypete said:

The Qa1 strut doesn't use a sleeve. The strut itself had the threads on it. Good advice for the other c/o kits though

QBstang87 said:
think 130 is too light even with nothing on the front end? i only have the blower and alternator, no ps ac air or anything...just that. and yeah long time no talk, been doin good...new motor last season, disappointed, so i got a great deal on a this from my old snap on mand and coundt resist. your work still stands great on the car :) . i have referred many people to you, given them your site. in fact just last night. but they all sound like they arent truely interested, i dunno fi you ever get calls or any work from my way. :shrug: but i try!

Yeah I still think they are a little to light, I would go atleast a 150 and I would have started at a 175.

We crushed a set of my dads 93 Cobra, now it is a full weight car up front with a blower but we ended up with a 225.

Thanks for the leads, not sure which ones have came from you but :nice: My new site is slowly getting up and running as I take things to a new level. www.rnhperformance.net

crazypete said:

Get some tire silicone and spray it at the A-arms if you have tubies with poly bushings. It's real light so it penetrates well and lubes them up pretty respectibly. Those poly buhsings will make a racket all on their own.

There is your noise problem, if you are using the cheaper kits. I have QA1 on mine, and have never heard a sound from them. The body is threade for the adjuster and spring seat, no sleaves to move.

springatfulllowered2.jpg

Attachments

• springatfulllowered2.jpg
    springatfulllowered2.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 161