Cold Air Intake?

Tmack

Oct 15, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I am debating buying a cold air intake for my 2002 GT (Probably Roush brand). But I have heard horror stories about people driving through puddles and because the air filter is now in the wheel well it sucked up water into the engine and destroyed the engine. So my question is; is this true and also is the Roush intake good or is there a better one out there? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

C.a.i.;

Yes it is true on some applications, I've never heard of it happening to a Mustang,plenty of ricers though. I've litteraly sprayed the front of my car from every angle(including from under the l.c.a.)and haven't been able to get enough water to hurt it.
However if you plan on driving into 2 1/2 feet of water forget it. :flag:

I just did some test for trouble shooting my Kenne Bell and the results shocked me. I had an inner fenderwall CAI and the intake under the supercharger was 167 deg at 5000 rpms. I put the stock air box on and pulled the snorkel out and took some more reading. I had 167 deg. at 5000 rpms. The exact same. The only thing that it did for me was it looked nice and it dropped my exhaust note a little. But it is up to you, when I had it I never had any problems with water.

Tmack said:
I am debating buying a cold air intake for my 2002 GT (Probably Roush brand). But I have heard horror stories about people driving through puddles and because the air filter is now in the wheel well it sucked up water into the engine and destroyed the engine. .
Bah, that's just what it is, a horror story. Sure, with the old 5.0L’s with the March Ram air set up that was made in the mid '90's could suck a fair amount of leaves water into the intake track if you insisted in driving through a monsoon, but the inner fender-well CAI kit's are mounted above and behind the wheel well. If you've got significant water getting in there, it's because you've left the road and you're driving in the lake. Not because of a couple of droplets that are splashing up here and there. Not only that, but the K&N filters used in these kits are pre-oiled.....What happens when oil and water come into contact with one and other….They repel one and other like Michael Jackson and an attractive female over the age of consent. Don't worry about it.

That being said, don't expect any real power gains with it either. It's just for show. just stuff a K&N into your stock airbox like dmarco_4u stated and call it a day.

All the cold air intakes i have seen are the same. I bought mine off ebay them had some different bends made and put a K&N on the end. Cold air Intake a the K&N came to like 60 bucks. cant beat that.