Cold Start Issues

TSWG00

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2002
Snohomish, WA
So when I start my 95 Gt from a cold start and attempt to go will will miss and backfire and all that good stuff. I'm thinking that my Oxygen sensor is going out. Granted I have had a MIL light come on ages ago so I probably have some codes stored in there. I guess one of these days I'll buy a code reader. I have a nice miss as well so I'm wondering if that also has to do with the issue. Not quite sure how to figure out what bank/cylinder is missing and how to fix it. I have had it since I have had the car over 5 years now. Any Advice?

Thanks Guys

Jason

• Sponsors (?)

Well, retrieving the codes is the place to start. You can do it with a paperclip.

If the miss occurs on a cold motor and almost immediately, know that it takes HEGO's 30-120 seconds to light off (before that, their input is ignored).

Good luck.

Now thats procrastination at its finest :nice:
You can do the paperclip trick and read the codes from the CEL, but the easiest way is to get the Ford OBD1 code reader at walmart that actually gives you the code number, and not just a bunch of beeps and flashes that you have to count. They're dirt cheap, 20-30 bucks at the most. At least that will give you a starting point.

For a shot in the dark, I'd say the cold start issue is either ECT sensor or IAT sensor related. Its very common. Good luck

Humm...well thanks guys..the Miss is all the time weather its cold or hot. I guess when I get my first pay check it will be used to buy a code reader :-D. What are some good readers? I'm looking at the Auto X-ray.

TSWG00 said:
Humm...well thanks guys..the Miss is all the time weather its cold or hot. I guess when I get my first pay check it will be used to buy a code reader :-D. What are some good readers? I'm looking at the Auto X-ray.
When you get around to pulling codes, run a cylinder balance test. It will let you know what cylinder is amiss (pun intended).

Ok, do you want a code reader or scanner? Honestly, you can use a paperclip or reader to get an idea of where to go and then use a multimeter to further diagnose the circuit. Scanners are nice but much more $$.

Good luck.

humm...I want something that will tell me what the code means. Like the one that was used in a shop that would say Right bank lean or something like that. I was looking at the Auto X-ray. Humm too bad there was not something I could connect my laptop to and run some software or something. Guess I'll look at the Auto Xray 5000.

The Ax5K will stream data in real time. Do some searching because there's software out there for GM's for use with a laptop (it was 150 bucks IIRC). There's probably something for Fords too.

If you only have an OBD-I ford, you can check out the scanner that only does Fords (it's 175 bucks or so at Summit, for instance). I would CONFIRM with Autoxray that it will stream data for your stang.

Good luck.