COMPLETE body swap, Vert to Coupe, feasable?

slowbluevert

Feb 16, 2011
fl
ive got a 89 vert and love the car, but HATE HATE HATE that it is a vert. i bought it mainly because it had 82k original miles and was too clean to pass up. runs like a champ, still nice and tight, all good.

my thought: pick up a cheap coupe body, plenty for sale in the 85-86 four eyed era, which i kinda like, and swap EVERYTHING. interior, wiring, drive train, suspension (quadshock issues?), fuel system, brakes, etc...

sure it will be time consuming, and a few things are unique to the vert, but being a fox chassis would i run into any major hurdles? any advice is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

So your idea is to ruin a good clean complete vert, to convert it to a 4 eye coupe?

Sell the vert, buy a wrecked fox which should be dirt cheap, then do the swap.
Use the left over money to put a built up engine in it.

Makes no sense financially to tear apart a good car to build another.

So your idea is to ruin a good clean complete vert, to convert it to a 4 eye coupe?

Sell the vert, buy a wrecked fox which should be dirt cheap, then do the swap.
Use the left over money to put a built up engine in it.

Makes no sense financially to tear apart a good car to build another.

Agreed. If the vert is that clean with that low miles, just buy or even trade it for another car and start over. It'll save you a ton of work and you'll get the same results...and maybe even some cash or parts to boot if the vert is that much cleaner than another car. You may even luck out and find a half finished project car that has a lot done to it already.

hahaha, nice. and yes, i could care less about the vert. my interest in that car was an unmolested drivetrain and clean interior and trust me there no way i could sell it and buy a coupe as clean for what i would get out of the vert.

Agreed. If the vert is that clean with that low miles, just buy or even trade it for another car and start over. It'll save you a ton of work and you'll get the same results...and maybe even some cash or parts to boot if the vert is that much cleaner than another car. You may even luck out and find a half finished project car that has a lot done to it already.

I agree. Don't ruin the vert.

Well.... you are talking about a lot of TIME. Don't tear down too much at once. I mean, every part will have to swap.

My old 90GT had that happen to it. I stripped it down to the bare chassis, I was going to scrap it so I took everything off of it. Well, a guy bought it, and I haven't seen it since, but he had a wrecked car and was swapping all the parts over to my old car. I thought of finding a wrecked car and swapping the parts over to my car, but that is a lot of work.

I guess part of the reason "unmolested" means nothing to me because I molest the **** out of my car....

You'd be better cutting off the roof from the coupe and welding it on the vert.... that was a joke, dont do it sell your car and find a clean lx hatch.