Computer chips?

Who runs them and are they worth it.
Just had a guy come into the store that is part owner of the local dragway that is closing in April.
Well we got to talking and he was asking about my mods. Well I told him the minor mods that I had and said that I wanted to put 3.73 gears in it. He said if he was me he would get some slicks and put a chip in instead, that it will get me in the high 8's:shrug: :shrug:
What yall think, do I call :bs: or does this make sense?:shrug: He seemed like a nice guy and seemed to have some knowledge, but you guys, Frank~N~Stang, and GETSTGO are the folks I chat with daily.
Well whatcha think?
He mentioned a brand ADS? and Superchip?

• Sponsors (?)

generic mailorder chips do nothing but bump the timing...save the cash and do it yourself, there is no magic 'chip' that's going to get you any power gains. Now should you have a dynotune with a chip burnt specifically for your combo...you MIGHT see some gains if you current tune is not optimal but usually N/A gains are minimal. Dyno tunes optimize the A/F and timing through out the curve the chip is burnt and installed into the ECU like a mailorder chip but they are not nearly the same thing. Generic chips are just money wasted.

generic mailorder chips do nothing but bump the timing...save the cash and do it yourself, there is no magic 'chip' that's going to get you any power gains. Now should you have a dynotune with a chip burnt specifically for your combo...you MIGHT see some gains if you current tune is not optimal but usually N/A gains are minimal. Dyno tunes optimize the A/F and timing through out the curve the chip is burnt and installed into the ECU like a mailorder chip but they are not nearly the same thing. Generic chips are just money wasted.

:rlaugh: I guess, your saying there not a big deal. Sorry DMAN I just dont understand all that, but I do understand you not thinking highly of them, unless I have more upgrades to go with it. I have already advanced the timing to 14 degrees. Is that pretty much what the chip would of done?

You're right on the money...you likely are running more timing than the aftermarket chip would provide...they tend to run conservative to prevent any damange claims against them. Remember the stock timing was around 8-10 the chip likley would put you at 12-13.