Considered IRS but going to just build my 8.8...do they offer drop in 8.8 with 9" ends?

For street driving and cornerning i cant see a mini tubbed car handling better than a widebody/flare. If i was all about straight lines i would tub. And like anything a widebody or flares have to be done right to look good.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Are you sure about the T-Bird IRS? There are lots more T-birds in the J/Y than 2003-2004 Cobras, and the parts would probably be cheaper too.
If that's true about the Thunderbirds there is a few around me that are dirt cheap well worth the cost of the IRS just to buy the car

He's talking about the differential carrier being the same 8.8 housing as in the cobra IRS's, but being made out of iron. The rest of the IRS is a completely different animal and would require LOTS of fabrication to get it to work. I looked heavily into doing that swap or a swap of a newer s550 IRS, they both are just too much work and would cause all sorts of problems. Width being the biggest issue.

2004 IRS Cradle (with hardtail conversion)
IMG_20180129_190836699.jpg

Thunderbird IRS Cradle
s-l1000.jpg

Can i ask what the hardtail conversion is? Ive seen this referred to on a few forums.

In short, it's cutting off the rear mounting tabs of the IRS subframe and fabricating a mount that bolts directly to the chassis/framerail. The stock IRS rear mounting brackets bolt to the side of the frame rail using the quad shock mounting holes and another bottom bolt. The bracket is flimsy and because of the way it mounts, allows the IRS cradle to move around because the bracket can flex.

Pages 7, 8, and 9 of my current build has a lot of pictures of the conversion I just did. There are less involved ways to do this, mines overkill but I plan on tracking my car.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...p-build-weld-spatter-in-my-ears.900417/page-7

I had 31 spline axles in my 04 cobra with an 8.8 and I had over 100 passes with zero problems. I launched as high as 5000 rpm's on slicks and it worked flawless. I did have the axle tubes welded. I had the IRS in it for a good while, but got tired of the random wheel hop, even with level 5 half shafts. I never broke one shaft even when it had the stock shafts, but decided the solid was better for my purposes of mostly drag racing. I haven't had a chance to get my notch to the track yet, but I have 31 spline axles and welded tubes and an anti roll bar which is a must for drag racing in my opinion. It's amazing how straight your car goes with the anti roll bar. I don't expect any problems with the current set up. My cobra made 650 to the wheels and my notch is making 641 but weighs considerably less of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Been talking to a guy i know who has built some really incredible foxbodies. Turns out he has a jig for the 8.8 and can help me out when the time comes. Now i just need to figure out what exactly i want/need done.