Cracked intake Poll.....everyone vote!

Did your intake crack ????? everyone vote please!

• Total voters
you will know it's cracked....you will have obvious coolant leakage...it took me about a week to realize it though....

First started when my coolant light came on...I didn't think much of it just figured it was a little low since things are warming up (live in the desert) so I topped it off with about a half gallon of water.....then about 4 days later I am driving home from work...coolant lights on again! I am like wtf...so then the first thing that comes to mind is that I have been smelling coolant lately when driving my car...never really thought much of it though..but once the light came on for the second time I went straight for the intake as the culprit and sure enough that was it. I just had to rev my car about 3-4k and it would spit out coolant.

as far as you telling if yours is leaking....I would say if you just pop your hood and look for the smell or sight of coolant you should be able to tell...I took a flashlight and shined it in the intake valley and there was a nice puddle...also my hoodliner had a nice stain now.....it's generally pretty obvious.

• Sponsors (?)

kboy262 said:
My 98 GT has 57k miles and so far so good. Does not matter anyway. I am changing to the PI intake most likely next month. Now saying that mine will probably crack tonight on my way home from work.

that's what mine did :) I had all the stuff just waiting for a good time to do the swap....well my intake cracked....so all of a sudden it was the right time :) :owned:

Replacing mine for the SECOND time, though i'm going with the PI Intake this time.

I'm hoping it'll seal with no problems, since i'm having alot of problems due to this crack.

I'm getting an intake temp of 113* (no clue why) and my #3 cylinder isn't firing :(

htrdmstng said:
Have any of you reported this problem to the NHTSA? I think the more people who report it the more likely they will issue a recall. www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Thanks for the link. I filled out the complaint form. Very easy to do. There were almost a dozen complaints already filed. If you guys with 1998 cracked intakes take five minutes to fill out a complaint, maybe Ford will go ahead and issue the recall.
Obviously they think they fixed the problem for 1998 by staying with the composite intake but perhaps beefing up the area around the coolant crossover tube. Obviously, it wasn't good enough because they went to an aluminum crossover tube in the long run anyway. We deserve to be reimbursed for the repair (unlikely) but at the very least, there needs to be a recall.

Thanks For Nothin' Ford

Mine crack only 1 freakin' week outta warranty... and the dearlerships and Ford would not replace it or help me out in any way! Gee... maybe meet me half way? C'mon only 1 week... No!... FUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFU FORD thanks for knowing about this problem and sticking it to me. Stupid Freaking Crant Fougle Shezzo Mother frucken Dumb piece o Frizzits!!!

Jeeez... I'm OK now... whew! :rolleyes:

GulfCoastMustang said:
Thanks for the link. I filled out the complaint form. Very easy to do. There were almost a dozen complaints already filed. If you guys with 1998 cracked intakes take five minutes to fill out a complaint, maybe Ford will go ahead and issue the recall.
Obviously they think they fixed the problem for 1998 by staying with the composite intake but perhaps beefing up the area around the coolant crossover tube. Obviously, it wasn't good enough because they went to an aluminum crossover tube in the long run anyway. We deserve to be reimbursed for the repair (unlikely) but at the very least, there needs to be a recall.

how do you know there were already a dozen complaints or so filed??

I will take some time to do it....I mean this poll clearly shows that 98' is a trouble year