crate motors versus vintage

GONZO

Nov 12, 2003
Could someone please tell me what the visual outside differences are between a crate motor 429/460 and a vintage 429??
Anything that will help tell the difference between the 2??

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know either this is why I am asking. There must be some differences?

Water pump?
accessory bolt on locations?
Thermostat?
Fuel Pump boss?
Special markings?

Ford engines were made right the first time . . .

That's because Ford engines are made right the first time, what's to improve? Those Chebby engines were just thrown at the market to try to keep up with Ford at the time, and they've been fixing them ever since. :rlaugh:
:flag: :banana:

65ShelbyClone said:
I believe 429s and 460s were offered in the same model years, just in different vehicles like passenger cars versus trucks. There might have been different accessory configurations, but the core engines are just about all the same.

You might give us a little more info about why your asking the question in order for us to narrow our answers. Are you trying to put a crate engine (motors are electric, btw) into a classic Ford and pass it off as original? Are you trying to identify whether or not an engine is a crate because the owner of a car your looking at said he put a crate engine in the car? Are you wanting to purchase a crate engine to put in a classic Ford you already own instead of rebuilding the engine you have, or replacing the one your missing?

A Ford crate engine will have much later casting numbers on it, to me, a crate engine is built from all new parts, are you talking about a rebuilt engine using a seasoned block and everything else new?

The things that would possibly be different in my mind are:
1. Engine mount boss location, quantity. As an example, the early FE blocks are different than the later blocks where they added a boss.
2. Water pump and timing cover. As an example, the later model 302's have a different timing cover (no dipstick tube location) and the water pump is configured differently (outlet on opposite side).
3. Accessory holes on the heads. I'm guessing most BBF crate engines probably have aluminum heads.
4. Exhaust ports & bolt hole locations. Although I doubt anyone uses them on a crate engine, some of the good Ford BB aluminum heads have BBC bolt pattern and port openings.

"You might give us a little more info about why your asking the question in order for us to narrow our answers. Are you trying to put a crate engine (motors are electric, btw) into a classic Ford and pass it off as original?"

I run this race www.stockappearingdrags.com
Myself and 3 others tech cars to make sure they fit the rules, later crate motors or superseeded OEM blocks are not allowed. You can check the rules there. My Login there is the same as it is here, and when you log in, you will see that I am the administrator.

This is why any help would be appreciated. I am primarily interested in later 429 "385' series engines.

Ahh, I think I'd go over to the 385 forum on network54 and ask there.

www.network54.com/forum/85220

I can't remember if you have to have a login to post or not, but I'd bet those guys would know.

The biggest giveaway would be the part numbers, but if it's someone shifty enough to try and pass something like this off, they could have fudged the numbers, which I think are also covered by the starter. So I think visual differences would be the best, so I understand what and why your asking.

I'm not sure of the advantqages of using a later block, other than boring and stroking it. You may have to invest in a P&G to be able to pump a cylinder to determine cubes.

Thanks 1320

Yeah I have the P&G vacuum pump, but really don't like to bring it out, unless somebody is obviously way under avg ET, for claimed combo. As it involves asking he guy to remove all the spark plugs

Thanks I will try over there at 385