custom chip question.....

Green 94 5.0

Founding Member
Mar 25, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
ok, i finally took the car out and beat it up a little bit. the car literally feels like it has about 200hp. the timing is at 10*, fuel pressure is at 36psi vacuum on, and i have been over everything twice to make sure that all is correct. it has to be a tuning issue. for those that arent aware of my situation, i blew the rings in the stock 302 in january of 06 and did a full change over. the mod list is:

motor:

CHP 331 Stroker Motor (8.8:1 Compression), Vortech V1 S-Trim Supercharger, Eagle 4340 Forged Crankshaft, Probe Industries Lightweight I-Beam Rods, Probe Industries SRS Pistons, Holley Systemax Intake Manifold (Inlet Ported To 75mm), AFR 185 61cc Cylinder Heads, Cometic MLS Head Gaskets, Comp Cams Camshaft - FW 284H-R14 (.533/.544 114LSA), Probe Industries Main Girdle, BBK 75mm Throttle Body, Edelbrock Throttle Body Inlet Adapter (Port Matched To Throttle Body), Pro-M 77mm MAF, Probe Industries 1.6 Lightweight Billet Stud Mount Rockers, Probe Industries Dominator Timing Chain, Romac Ultra Light Harmonic Balancer, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, AFM Power Pipe, AFM Chrome Valve Covers, Kirban Adjustable FPR, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Blaster TFI Coil, MSD 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires, MSD Cap & Rotor, FRPP 42lb/hr. Injectors, MAC 1-5/8" Ceramic Coated Longtube Headers, MAC 2.5" Prochamber, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback Exhaust, Canton 7qt. Oil Pan, FelPro Gaskets, ARP 12pt Intake Bolts, ARP Head Studs, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Motor Mounts, ASP Smog Pump Idler Pulley, Cardone High Torque Starter, Walbro 255lph Intank Fuel Pump, Vortech T-Rex 155lph Inline Fuel Pump, Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts, Pro-M o2 Sensor Extenders, Fluidyne Aluminum Radiator, 180° Thermostat, K&N Filter, PLX M-300 Wideband o2 Sensor, SCE Copper Exhaust Gaskets, Removed Accessories (A/C, Power Steering, Smog Pump, & EGR), HP Stainless Supercharger Oil Feed Line, TwEECer R/T

drivetrain:

AODE - Manual Transmission Swap, Tremec TKO600, Steeda Tri-Ax, Pro Motion Kustom Clutch (FRPP Blueprinted HD Pressure Plate/McLeod Disc), Tremec Bellhousing, D&D C62 Super HD Clutch Fork, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Transmission Mount, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Fiore Performance Clutch Quadrant, Fiore Performance Firewall Adjuster, Steeda Adjustable Clutch Cable, Steeda Driveshaft Spacer, 3.27 Ring & Pinion

anyway, everything is basically new from the upper intake to the rearend. at this point, i just want the car done with as little addition hassle as possible. my question is, if i contact a reputable tuner and give him a full list of mods, what are the odds he can burn me a chip that will bring out the beast in the car. i know without being on a dyno, perfection is impossible, but that isnt my concern at this point. if it can be done, can anyone recommend a good place to get this done? thanks in advance.....

• Sponsors (?)

Dude you have way too much money in this thing to half ass it with a mail order chip. If you want a chip find a good tuner and tune it on the dyno.
my issue is not trusting any of the local places. im not looking for peak power either. all of that stuff is crammed in a stock block so i would like to keep the power around 425-450hp. there are only 2 shops local to me here. one is mustang specialties and the other is steeda. i have heard many horror stories about specialties and a buddy of mine wasted a head gasket on the way home from a dyno session at steeda. so i think mail order from a known place is te best course of action for me at this point.

my issue is not trusting any of the local places. im not looking for peak power either. all of that stuff is crammed in a stock block so i would like to keep the power around 425-450hp. there are only 2 shops local to me here. one is mustang specialties and the other is steeda. i have heard many horror stories about specialties and a buddy of mine wasted a head gasket on the way home from a dyno session at steeda. so i think mail order from a known place is te best course of action for me at this point.

I understand not trusting local shops. I don't either which is why I do my own work and tuning. Theres just no garantee a mail order chip will be dead on first shot. You'll still have to dyno it to check and if its not you gotta send the chip back creating more down time. Then redyno again to see if its better.

I understand not trusting local shops. I don't either which is why I do my own work and tuning. Theres just no garantee a mail order chip will be dead on first shot. You'll still have to dyno it to check and if its not you gotta send the chip back creating more down time. Then redyno again to see if its better.
i got off the phone with don a little while ago and it definitely seems like the right way to go. he thinks the old pro-m i have may be the root of the problem. aside from that, the plan at this point is to build a base tune from the mod list i send him then to log maf voltage and a/f numbers and send the chip back for adjustments. im expecting to send the chip back several times during this process. the car has been driven a total of maybe 5 miles since 01/06 so a few more weeks wont kill me.

While my tuning experience is rather limited :shrug:
I believe I got a pretty good feel for the simple and challenging parts of it all :)

Just said that ... to say this :D

Tuning these cars is like most other things
The more you do it ... you pick up things
and
Some peeps I've seen ... Well ... They just seem to have a gift for it ;)

Many can tune ... But ... How many are really good :Word:

If you don't wanna do it yourself ......
It can be hard to find those gifted peeps :bang:

Just cause you found a performance shop :)
That don't mean the tuner is good :nono:
Sad ... But you gotta admit ... We see it all the time on here :(

Its hard enough when you got the car :D
But to do it remotely :crazy:
IMHO ... That would take a L O T of experience :eek:

Grady

i hear nothing but good things about d'augistino racing in davie. they do mostly modular tuning but im sure they could help you out. you also have diablo up in delray. specialties is ok by me, but i have heard some people have bad experiences with them. if you speak with john at specialties he will take care of you.

I wont trust specialties to take my dog to piss. Let alone with thousands of dollars I gor in parts. Diablo has a real good tuner with them over there the name eludes me right now but I will think of it. He got my car running great with just a couple clicks...He has been tuning since they made chips. its killing me that i cant remember the name but if you wanna give me a call. I will think of it I gonna need his services soon too.

willie figeroa thats his name.....the tuner at diablo. the only thing is you have to remind him that you want a conservative tune. If not he will try to squeeze every drop out.:nice:

:OT:
the build took a back seat to a few things I moved to a new house. So that took alot and i had bought a motorcycle and dropped it and broke my shoulder blade in the process. So now the motor cycle turn into a project too. But now i am better and almost settled in so its going to be full steam ahead now in the new garage...thank for asking