Custom intake

• Sponsors (?)

there is a sheetmetal intake available made by Hogan's however its big $. someone on the boards tried to fab up a sheetmetal intake a few years ago, lets just say it turned out less that stelar. unless you have some serious fab skills an intake that already exists is your only option.

actually I have produced a prototype, however cost to build is far to expensive over $600 in material andabout 45 man hours without cnc. The overall design has longer runners and shares some of the same features as reichard. Overall it made 40bhp and 30lbs tq at the flywheel on a fairly stock 2v. however on a blower motor results were less than expected.
With tht said I'll leave it for the pro's to make the and cut my loses.

JohnyD05 said:
has anyone ever entertained the idea of a custom intake? sheetmetal, to try and replace the plastic pos?
plastic can be quite good actually, as it has less heat transfer. This was one of the biggest changes on the LS1 Fbody's over the years, from 01 onwards the all had the plastic LS6 intake, they are reputed to make 10-20rwhp more than the metal equiverlant.

300bhp/ton said:
plastic can be quite good actually, as it has less heat transfer. This was one of the biggest changes on the LS1 Fbody's over the years, from 01 onwards the all had the plastic LS6 intake, they are reputed to make 10-20rwhp more than the metal equiverlant.

my opposition to plastic is the durabiltiy.

I don't see any way to make 10-20hp in heat from the intake. you could argue you could gain 5-6hp form just heat ruduction. if they are making 20hp then there is a design difference I would say.

300bhp/ton said:
i wasn't reffering to the material it was made out of as much as just how the flow sucks and i would like a better one :) I understand about the specific heat and stuff though. it probably helps keep the intake air temp down.

i know, but i have heard about how nitrous and superchargers can crack the plastic intake, not something i have to worry about for now i think it just sucks how u can get 5.0 intake for maybe 3 or 400 and ours are like 800 if not more. i wish someone would get on the ball and make something.

Richard Racing or Fox Lake are probably the two best know aftermarket Intake Manifolds for our cars.

I love my RR Intake and wouldn't change it for nothing.

The curve is amazing.

10.jpg

christiesledd said:
I've seen custom ones built on domestic rice cars, never seen any that looked good :shrug:

I don't care how they look, i just want the performance/power aspect of it. its under the hood it doesn't need to be pretty.

as opposed to how i like my women, good looking, and i an do the rest.

JohnyD05 said:
i wasn't reffering to the material it was made out of as much as just how the flow sucks and i would like a better one :) I understand about the specific heat and stuff though. it probably helps keep the intake air temp down.
Well it would be pretty cool to be able to make on, would love to have the skills and equipment. But I guess it would take a fair amount of R&D to make it work, even if you come up with a brilliant design you may still face unforseen problems once installed. This can happen to the best in the industry, hence they usually cost lots after market.

If you stick a KB on there it will solve all your problems though :D

As for the material type and flow capacities I totally agree. But the material can and does play a big part in it. Can't remember the make, but there's an alumium intake for the LS1 which is proven to have slightly better flow characteristics than the plastic LS6 (which is actually very good), but once it becomes heat soaked it produces less power and torque.

hognutz said:
That is a cast intake and I have seen no dyno data yet. Have they actaully got any reall data yet?

there is a guy over on the corral who is getting ready to install and dyno this intake. The guy who makes them also posts over their frequently if you have questions.