Custom wheels - backspacing

I am getting a set of wheels made but the problem is the company has never made any for a Mustang before. Actually, they have never even made any for a Ford. :owned: Don't worry though, these will look KILLER on a Mustang. Anyways, the sizes they are making for me is 18x8 (front) and 19x10 (rear). I went with a 5.75" backspacing for the front and 6.25" in the rear. Does this sound right? I still have time to change if necessary. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah check my thread out! ha ha j/p

I don't know offsets but BlackVert was dead on in my situation - 20mm offset all around worked perfectly - I still need 1'' spacers in the back but I'm using 18X8 and 18X9 in the rear and I love it.

Show me some pics of these new wheels!!

TripleBlack95 said:

I don't know offsets but BlackVert was dead on in my situation - 20mm offset all around worked perfectly - I still need 1'' spacers in the back but I'm using 18X8 and 18X9 in the rear and I love it.

I'm not worried about the offset, I just needed the backspacing. As far as pics, part of the agreement is that I don't show pics until everything is done. That will make sense after I have everything painted and all the suspension/body work done. It should be a show-stopper for sure. :flag:

With a 10" wheel you will need more than 6.25" of BS. You will need close to 6.75"-7". I have 17X10.5 wheels with 6.75" BS and they are flush with the fender. With a 10" wheel you would probably be fine with 6.75". I went onto ebay and checked the dimensions that AFS list for their 10.5" wheels, I suggest you do the same as you'll know those measurments work. You can take .5" off of the 10.5" wide wheels since yours is only 10" wide. This will give you as much lip as possible..

Backspacing and offset

(ReaR)
Wheel Size: 17x10.5"
Wheel Backspacing: 6.84" Wheel Offset: +27mm
(Fits Best 94-04 rear)
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.5 inch

(FRONT)
Wheel Style: Bullitt Wheel Size: 17x9"
Wheel Backspacing: 5.95" Wheel Offset: +24mm
(Fits Best 94-04 all)
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.5 inch

...I just got new bullits... i got the specs from MustangTuning.com where i bought the rims from.... this is my setup and it's nice... the front doesn't rub either, it's perfect, and the back sit just inside the wheel well lip, it could afford to set out another 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch to be flush i'd say, but it looks nice!

TripleBlack95 said:

OT: good to hear that i didn't steer you wrong. let's see some pics of your wheels! i guess i missed that thread.

swingline said:
The problem is that I don't have the brakes on to measure.
if you have the calipers, you might be able to measure the overhang even if they are not on the rotors. otherwise, a ford dealer might have some cobra calipers for you to look at and measure?
swingline said:
I'm not worried about the offset, I just needed the backspacing. As far as pics, part of the agreement is that I don't show pics until everything is done. That will make sense after I have everything painted and all the suspension/body work done. It should be a show-stopper for sure. :flag:
as an aside, if i remember correctly, given a wheel width and either the backspacing or the offset, you can figure out the other one. (backspacing + offset) * 2 should give you the width (minus the depth of the outside lips).

i'm really looking forward to seeing those wheels. :drool:

- chris

BlackVert said:
if you have the calipers, you might be able to measure the overhang even if they are not on the rotors. otherwise, a ford dealer might have some cobra calipers for you to look at and measure?

as an aside, if i remember correctly, given a wheel width and either the backspacing or the offset, you can figure out the other one. (backspacing + offset) * 2 should give you the width (minus the depth of the outside lips).

i'm really looking forward to seeing those wheels. :drool:

- chris

Thanks for the help. I told him that the brakes were the same as the one's on a '03 Cobra and he knows what those specs are. I went with 5.75" BS on the 18x8 fronts and 6.75" BS on the 19x10 rears. I will post up pics when I get them in but it will probably be a while before they actually go on the car because I am going to wait until I get all my mods done.