Daily driver brake question

Black Stampede

Founding Member
Sep 3, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Hey guys got a question for you regarding my daily driver. It's a 1993 Dakota and I replaced all the front brakes only about 2 years ago. Over the last few months periodically it would all of the sudden start bogging while driving like it had alot of drag sometimes getting as bad as it feeling like I was towing something. I could downshift and floor it and barely keep my speed. I was quite sure it was the front brakes being applied on their own because there is no other way it could have been held back that much. So finally a couple days ago they started grinding like mad so it is for sure the front brakes as I can here a slight grind even when I am not touching the pedal. Obviously I am going to replace the brakes this week, but why were they grabbing on their own and what can I do to make sure it doesn't happen again? Thanks for the help. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Could the caliper be seized up? Those rods that allow it to float in/out might have some corrosion not allowing them to slide. So when u brake, the caliper tends to stick in that position and not release. Im pretty sure there are caliper rebuild kits u can get to replace the boots that cover the rods. Add some grease and see how she does.

Thats the only thing that came to mind from the description. Hopefully when u take em apart the problem will be more clear.

Could the caliper be seized up? Those rods that allow it to float in/out might have some corrosion not allowing them to slide. So when u brake, the caliper tends to stick in that position and not release. Im pretty sure there are caliper rebuild kits u can get to replace the boots that cover the rods. Add some grease and see how she does.

Thats the only thing that came to mind from the description. Hopefully when u take em apart the problem will be more clear.

That sounds like it could be possible.

Most people overlook relubing the pins on the brake caliper. The pins and rubber parts they slide in are sold as a "Brake Caliper Hardware kit". You are going to need to replace all that for sure. They usually sell brake lube at the parts counter in a little packet for 99 cents. It could also be a seized caliper. Don't try and rebuild the caliper yourself, it's just not worth it. Just buy a rebuilt one from the autoparts store. A sure fire sign that you have a seized caliper is uneven wear on the brake pads.

Kurt

Most people overlook relubing the pins on the brake caliper. The pins and rubber parts they slide in are sold as a "Brake Caliper Hardware kit". You are going to need to replace all that for sure. They usually sell brake lube at the parts counter in a little packet for 99 cents. It could also be a seized caliper. Don't try and rebuild the caliper yourself, it's just not worth it. Just buy a rebuilt one from the autoparts store. A sure fire sign that you have a seized caliper is uneven wear on the brake pads.

Kurt

+1.

Did you either a) replace the pins, or b) clean them up and re-lube? If not, that'd be my first guess.

When you guys say "caliper seizing", are you referring to the piston itself, or the caliper not sliding on the pins? Never heard of the piston itself seizing, but I guess it's possible. revhead's right though, don't bother rebuilding calipers, just replace. Not worth the time, especially on a DD.

Seizing refers to the piston seizing in the bore.

I would not use a parts-store brake pin kit. The metal used in such kits sucks. I don't think that some of them even have a sacrificial coating.

Kurt, frozen slide pins can also cause uneven pad wear (the outboard pad wears much faster than the inboard pad).

One last thing to not overlook is the brake line. Sometimes the rubber fails and you have an issue where fluid can pass under pressure, but not recede when the pedal is released.

Had that happen two winters ago, driving on I95, outside of Boston. Driver's side caliper froze, behaved as you described, and I limped it into the dealership. It was January, about 10 degrees outside, and I just told the guys at Ford to replace the caliper. Imagine changing out a frozen caliper in a driveway in New England in January?

Adam

Had that happen two winters ago, driving on I95, outside of Boston. Driver's side caliper froze, behaved as you described, and I limped it into the dealership. It was January, about 10 degrees outside, and I just told the guys at Ford to replace the caliper. Imagine changing out a frozen caliper in a driveway in New England in January?

Adam

Yeah that scenario would happen frequently for a few minutes then it would release itself. Luckily.

Thanks for the input guys. I will proceeded to replace the calipers as well. Not like it costs a ridiculous amount.