Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg_GI_6kqwE

:(

LATEST

Authorities today released the identities of two men who died Sunday during illegal drag races in the Pratt Community.

Lonnie King, 29, from the Pratt area was struck by one of two cars racing on Republic Boulevard off Avenue W while he was videotaping the race, said Jefferson County Chief Deputy Coroner Pat Curry.

Anthony Lett, 36, of Huntsville, was shot to death when he suggested taking King to the hospital after the wreck, Curry said.

The accident happened just before 4:30 p.m. Curry said King was struck after the two cars lost control. He was dragged 300 feet before the cars came to a stop.

When Lett wanted to take King to the hospital to see if anything could be done for him, someone pulled a gun and shot Lett. A man from Florida then put Lett in a car and drove him to UAB Hospital where they dumped him out of the car and left him, Curry said.

Authorities have said the racing was between two groups, one from Florida and another from Tennessee. The race was taking place on a dead-end street through an industrial park commonly used for illegal racing

OLDER
Man fatally shot after drag race in Pratt City where another is struck and killed
Posted by Birmingham News staff January 13, 2008 7:04 PM
A man was fatally shot this afternoon after another was struck and killed during a drag race in the Pratt Community, according to Birmingham police.

The shooting occurred after a pedestrian was struck and killed during an illegal drag race on Republic Boulevard just off Avenue W, said Birmingham Police Cap. Herman Hinton.

Police were called to the scene at 4:20 p.m.

Hinton said an argument apparently broke out over whether to take the accident victim to the emergency room to see if anything could be done. The man who wanted to take him in was shot several times and killed.

The victims' identities have not been released.

Hinton said the drag racers appeared to be from Florida and Tennessee. A security guard who works in the area said drag racing is common on Republic Boulevard, a dead-end street through an industrial park.

One Man Struck Dead By Street Racer, Another Shot Dead

Last Edited: Sunday, 13 Jan 2008, 7:56 PM CST
Created: Sunday, 13 Jan 2008, 7:56 PM CST

Developing Story (FOX6 WBRC-TV MyFoxAL, Graphic)

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC-TV MyFoxAL.com) -- Birmingham Police have confirmed that two people are dead Sunday night after rival street racing teams from out of town brought violence to Birmingham's streets.

Police say two vehicles, reportedly from Tennessee and Florida, were street racing Sunday afternoon on Republic Boulevard off of Avenue W in Ensley. Witnesses told police one man was videotaping the race when one of the cars hit him.

Investigators believe that one of the men involved in the race wanted to try and help the victim while some of the crowd allegedly wanted to leave the victim behind. Then, the man wanting to help was allegedly shot.

Both the person struck by the car and the man offering to help have died. Police initially said both victims were from out of state, but Birmingham Police have not released their identities at this time

• Sponsors (?)

Saw that on another site... Sad when something like this happens. The shooting is absolutely insane to think someone would do that. Goes to show you that standing around during a street race is never safe, especially two fast cars!

Its too bad...You never are safe areound this type of thing. I guess thats why they say to take it to the track.
Dudes shooting dudes over street racing...makes me want to keep my stuff in the garage and not associate with the local "street scene"

3rd post down......youtube link.

Didn't know gangsta's got into streetracing.

Dropping your buddy off for dead at the hospital!?!?

Some real ****ing men in that event right there. Bunch of coward ass BS.

****ing ghetto fast and the furious.....

so....who won????

No...that's so wrong! I don't go around crap like that. Look at the crowd first of all. Secondly, the car could run you over like it did to some poor person. Then you get people that shoot you when you want to save someones life??? Real cool, yeah....that's the type of people I want to be around!!:notnice: :notnice:

There are a few spots like that here. Most of them in the ghetto...NO cops around they don't care. Detroit Police cut their department every month and are too busy catching suspects for 1 in 3 murders.

Other spots are in good neighborhoods, but they get arrested and cars getting impounded.

I read an article last year, it said in California they were impounding cars and if convicted of street racing they were crushing them.

I would hope that people learn from this terrible experience.

Something like this could have been taken to a local track and then the only people hurt would have been the drivers.

Makes me sick... These "people" are actually defending themselves on the forums. Gangbangers are NOT racers. They are gangbangers. Scum like that is why our sport isn't any better than it is today. Nothing, especially that, is worth someone's life. Watch your butts boys, cops will be watching us like hawks now... :Track:

anyone involved in illegal street racing or even spectating should assume the risk of an accident up to and including loss of life. It is very dangerous!!! I have been indirectly involved in a few street racing accidents in houston in the 80's. I dont recall seeing anyone using guns back then but am sure they were along for the ride. Now you will never catch me any where near that sort of activity. And yes they will crush your car in california even though most of the accidents are not technically "street racing" but more of a contest of speed thing. chris

You really have to uneducated about fast cars to spectate a street race from anywhere other than behind the starting line.
Being there is bad enough, but to put yourself in the line of fire is even worse.

I attended one of these (thank god nobody raced) years ago in Newark NJ, within 2 minutes of being there i was nervous and ready to go home, so absurdly dangerous. There was even guys with their little kids with them.
My buddy was pissed, but tough crap, i ain't rolling around in a wheel chair so he could be amused by morons in death traps.

I don't get it. The guy that hit one of the people watching then shot someone for trying to take said wounded person to a hospital? WTF? Okay, so now instead of a vehicular assault charge or lesser felony, now they're facing a murder charge? What kind of idiotic bit of anti-logic leads a person to make a backwards decision like that? Wouldn't it make more sense to try to save the life of the person you just about killed with your act of stupidity in street-racing, rather than causing ANOTHER fatality? :scratch:

Then again, it takes a special type of retard to street-race nowadays, sooooo... :shrug: