dealer wants $850 for a gear install?

It is high, but then again you got a quote from the dealer, which is about normal.

Take it to a performance shop or a 4x4 shop. Normal install pricing should be 200-275ish.

I paid $500 total for mine including me buying the gears, the DMP Speedcal, new bearing overhaul kit, fluid and the labor.

Good idea on the 4x4 shop. A guy I know owns one so when I do mine I would be more than happy to give him the business.

• Sponsors (?)

They paid me to do mine... like a Grand just because it was Notchbck93...WTF

I've never seen such a more rediculous response string of what people paid for a service.

Obviously, if you know someone or live out in Oklahoma where the ave person makes 14G a year, the cost to have gears installed will be less than someone who maybe outside a major thriving city.

I have installed all of my own gears on about 6 Stangs thus far and only one required shims to be ordered after checking lash, drive and coast patterns.

A simply, "shop around" post would have sufficed.

Sometimes you can find techs who do side jobs, but beware, just because they are Ford techs doesn't mean they are on the ball. Find a few guys that have already have had gears installed in your area, see how the work has held up, then make an educated decision.

with ffrp gears that i will supply does that sounds high

I feel your pain. I was calling places yesterday to get quotes for the same thing. The cheapest I got was $800+ for frpp 4.10s and bearings (do the Speed Cal myself). Cheapest one for just labor if I supplied everything was $650. I don't even want to think about what a dealer would charge.