Detailing Engine

xlr857

Jan 9, 2004
I have a car show coming up and wanted to detail my engine. Its for a 98 Cobra. The dealer did it when I bought the car and it ran rough and threw a check engine light. What is the best way to detail this engine. I dont want to get anything wet thats not supposed to. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Tin foil over the coil packs, alternater, and air filter. Then just some de-greaser, and a garden hose. No high pressure thing. Tire foam to make the rubber hoses and such shine. Plan on scrubbing w/ a toothbrush for those hard to reach places.

cold96snake said:
Tin foil over the coil packs, alternater, and air filter. Then just some de-greaser, and a garden hose. No high pressure thing. Tire foam to make the rubber hoses and such shine. Plan on scrubbing w/ a toothbrush for those hard to reach places.

:nice: yup!

autozone has several good engine degreasers... (dumb question here, but where are the coilpacks on the 03 cobras???)

The 99+ Cobra's have Coil Over Plugs (COP's). This is all hidden under the cover that sits on top of the valve covers. For us, we don't have to worry about covering anything really.

Simple Green works fine if you just need a quick cleaning of the engine...if you have heavy grime, yes, get a degreaser. The only thing on my motor that I cover are the breathers I have. Make sure the engine is warm, but not hot. Spray on cleaner, let sit 3-5 minutes, wash off. Don't use any pressure on the rinse. After it's clean I start the engine to help it dry faster and get water sitting on the belts and such off; let the engine run for a couple minutes. Then wipe any remaining water off the engine.

For detailing, I use a product called CD2. Makes black, black, and the paint on the valve covers and intake just sparkle. I can't find this stuff anymore at stores, but purchased some from here....Clicky

Attachments

• Enginepic.jpg
    Enginepic.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 126