Details, Details, Details, Cam Thrust Plate?

horseballz

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
  1. Hi All,
    Working on a 66 - 289 and am looking for thoughts on cam thrust plates. In the pic below, the plate on the left came off of a 68 - 289 core I have (not sure if its OEM or not) and the one on the right is a Melling "replacement" piece. Note the grooves as well as the shape differences. The left one appears that it would/might provide better oil pressure "cushioning" to the thrust surface, whereas, on the right one the groove provides a passage for the oil to give a "squirt" (through a hole in the block) to the distributor gear. Which one is correct and/or better and why? Also, the left one has grooves and appears to be identical on both sides. Was this intended to make the unit reversible for re-use after one surface became worn?
    IMG_1878.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

1. Hi All,
    Working on a 66 - 289 and am looking for thoughts on cam thrust plates. In the pic below, the plate on the left came off of a 68 - 289 core I have (not sure if its OEM or not) and the one on the right is a Melling "replacement" piece. Note the grooves as well as the shape differences. The left one appears that it would/might provide better oil pressure "cushioning" to the thrust surface, whereas, on the right one the groove provides a passage for the oil to give a "squirt" (through a hole in the block) to the distributor gear. Which one is correct and/or better and why? Also, the left one has grooves and appears to be identical on both sides. Was this intended to make the unit reversible for re-use after one surface became worn?
    IMG_1878.jpg

if they are the same thickness i would use the one on the right the buldge on the side covers the oil galley plug and prevents it from blowing out

i was looking at a 289 block this morning there is a small oil hole in the front of the block, the plate on the right would cover this and re direct oil directly to the front of the cam and timming gear thruogh the groove, that is the one i would pic. i was also thinking it would not be good to flip the plate for a worn side because the cam rides on the back side of the plate and the gear rides on the front side of the plate,a worn plate either side would widen the tollerances