Dipstick reading way over full

realtex

5 Year Member
Dec 3, 2018
tx
After an oil change, the dipstick is reading way over full. I brought it back, they drained it, re-filled it and it's still showing way over full. Anyone experienced this? 95 GT

• Sponsors (?)

I've never had an SN95 but on my Fox, the oil markings on the dipstick are not accurate. I've marked a new oil fill line on all 3 of the Fox bodies I've owned and re-marked the dipstick on the replacement I got for my 86.

I mean... if the thing takes 5 quarts with a new filter and it comes out high on the stick, then the stick is wrong. :shrug:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I've never had an SN95 but on my Fox, the oil markings on the dipstick are not accurate. I've marked a new oil fill line on all 3 of the Fox bodies I've owned and re-marked the dipstick on the replacement I got for my 86.

I mean... if the thing takes 5 quarts with a new filter and it comes out high on the stick, then the stick is wrong. :shrug:
I did the same: Re-marked the stick on my 91. It’s not accurate. 5 quarts plus new filter and shows way over all the time.

Did they drain both drain plugs ? If they did drain both of them the dipstick is inaccurate. Some people don't know there are 2 drain plugs.

Reactions: 1 users
Bingo, after reading about the two plugs, now it makes sense. They probably didn't remove both, which left some oil in the pan. Thanks for the reply

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for the reply

This has been discussed several times, not a bad thing, it can just get confusing, here's another discussion:

Reactions: 1 user
I lost a lot of sleep (lol) when I bought my car and did the first oil change and discovered this issue. Lots of hours of researching and checking the dip stick part number, etc.
The inaccuracy drove me nuts. Having OCD doesn’t help. lol
I even found an old service record in the pile which the original owner took the car to the dealer over two decades ago complaining of an inaccurate dip stick reading after oil changes.
There was no resolution on the receipt but made me feel better that it’s not something new and that it’s in line with everything else I read online with this complaint. Some are lucky to have accurate sticks but it seems like its a common [normal] issue and that as long as you drain both plugs, change the filter, and put in 5 quarts in then your good. To help with the confusion that it causes I just marked my stick by scratching a new full line.

Reactions: 2 users