Disc Brake Swap Opinion

SoCal69GT

Aug 3, 2004
Oceanside, CA
Please straighten up my mind. My 69 has stock front disc and rear drums. I bought a Baer Trak 13s that's been sitting in the garage to be installed. I am tempted to just sell the Baer and get the rear disc conversion kit here:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/musta...assZdfbrakesQQsbrftogZ1QQsellerZ1QQsofocusZbs

This car will not see any race track and will only be a cruiser.
What's your opinion? Keep the Baer or get the rear disc conversion?

• Sponsors (?)

SoCal69GT said:
Currently 14s but 17s are on the way.:)
The Baer system works great,but you will need those 17 in rims to clear the calipers.There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to brakes or horsepower,its all what you can afford.Go for it!

I'd rather have 4 wheel disc you posted than the Baer 13s and drums in the back. If you use the Baers, you really are in it for another $1200 or so for rear Baers too, to balance the braking and looks.
It's a budget call. Do you need them... nope. But then no one "needs" these cars in the first place :)

I've got 13" front discs with 10x2.5" rear drums on my '68 and they stop incredibly well. No comparison to the stock '70 11" discs and 10x2" drums I had previously. No problem balancing them either, I just went one size larger on the wheel cylinders (1") and used an adjustable prop. valve. I don't think you'd see nearly as much of a performance increase by just changing out the rear to discs on such a front heavy car.

68Restoman

519500_60_full.jpg

Front 13" Mach I discs on my '68 Coupe

519500_66_full.jpg

Rear 10" x 2.5" Grand Marquis drums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbRJxUklOBE
Link to Track Video with this setup

if you are going to run 17" wheels, you may as wellstick with the baer brakes in front, and keep the rear drums for now. you can install rear disc brakes later if you choose, but since the front do the large majority of the stopping, dont spend the money. as a side note, if you choose to keep the baer brakes, let me know and i will buy your stock front brakes from you. spindle and all.

I just finish adding Lincoln Mark VII Ultrastang rear brake on my 69 Sportroof. $350 in the project. Not bad for rear disc brakes. I'm using 1973Mustang front disc brakes. How about the Cobra front disc brake from Mustang Steve and Ultrastang Cobra rear disc brake?

Cobra brakes

Just finished a similar install on a '66; Mustang Steve front's, but used the North Racecar rear kit, as I put an 8.8" in my '66. Basically 4 wheel Cobra brakes.
Works incredibly well with the power booster set up from NPD (for manual trans).
I have to agree though, that unless you plan to spend some serious time on an open track course, this is way over kill. The car is so light, and there is so much braking force available that keeping the brakes bedded in during street use will be a chore...albiet, a fun chore :D
Later model heavy big block cars may be a better platform for 4 wheel disc.

Good luck,

Scott

8cuda said:
I just finish adding Lincoln Mark VII Ultrastang rear brake on my 69 Sportroof. $350 in the project. Not bad for rear disc brakes. I'm using 1973Mustang front disc brakes. How about the Cobra front disc brake from Mustang Steve and Ultrastang Cobra rear disc brake?

Thanks for your purchase of the Mk VII rear disc conversion brackets, 8cuda.

The Cobra rear disc conversion I've been working on isn't available yet --I STILL have to sort out how I'm going to connect the parking brake cables from the late model calipers to the early model brake system. Other than this though, the brakes are fully functional.:)

There's going to be a Mustang get together in Carrollton, GA on Saturday June 3rd, 2006 in honor of Mustang Steve's birthday. I plan to be there, and I have a mockup of the Cobra rear disc setup I'll be bringing with me to put on display there, for anyone that would like to see it.

If any of you guys are close enough, and would like to come to the event, we'd be glad for you to come out and join us!:)

Location details:

http://www.mustangsteve.com/msbdb3.html

2bav8 said:
Rear disc is really overkill for a street application.
Of course, the Baer kit is also overkill for street use as well. What size rims are you using?

It is also overkill at the track. I actually have a valve in my rear drum set up to tone down the rear drums. Nothing worse than the rear locking up at speed in one of these things.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com/tech.html

summitpoint56oq.jpg

Attachments

• summitpoint56oq.jpg
    summitpoint56oq.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 82
ultrastang said:
Thanks for your purchase of the Mk VII rear disc conversion brackets, 8cuda.

The Cobra rear disc conversion I've been working on isn't available yet --I STILL have to sort out how I'm going to connect the parking brake cables from the late model calipers to the early model brake system. Other than this though, the brakes are fully functional.:)

There's going to be a Mustang get together in Carrollton, GA on Saturday June 3rd, 2006 in honor of Mustang Steve's birthday. I plan to be there, and I have a mockup of the Cobra rear disc setup I'll be bringing with me to put on display there, for anyone that would like to see it.

If any of you guys are close enough, and would like to come to the event, we'd be glad for you to come out and join us!:)

Location details:

http://www.mustangsteve.com/msbdb3.html

Are you working on later than '66? For the install on my '66 I was able to connect from the calipers to the stock hand pull lever linkage, and they hold very well, even on a steep driveway. Later cars with foot operated P-brake may be different.
I wasn't sure how it was going to work, so I did a quick fabrication. Works so well, I'll probably just change the rod guide to something a little more classy, and call it good.

Scott

66Runt said:
Are you working on later than '66? For the install on my '66 I was able to connect from the calipers to the stock hand pull lever linkage, and they hold very well, even on a steep driveway. Later cars with foot operated P-brake may be different.
I wasn't sure how it was going to work, so I did a quick fabrication. Works so well, I'll probably just change the rod guide to something a little more classy, and call it good.

Scott

The '65/'66 Mustang's brake cable system is configured differently than the '67-'70 Mustangs.

More than likely, on my '68, I'll end up adapting a Fox or SN-95 Mustang brake lever to the transmission/drive shaft tunnel and connect the brake cables there. This is more "correct" for this brake setup, and will have a lot more leverage over the stock vintage parking brake setup anyway.

www.ultrastang.com

Otherwise a bell-crank arrangement

would work. As would a wratcheting foot brake. I'd miss the option of not being able to run a console. Especially with that vintage. The 67-68 console is so nice!
If I was in the market to purchase a kit, this would sway my decision.

Scott

66Runt said:
would work. As would a wratcheting foot brake. I'd miss the option of not being able to run a console. Especially with that vintage. The 67-68 console is so nice!
If I was in the market to purchase a kit, this would sway my decision.

Scott

Originally, my '68 came from the factory as a Deluxe coupe (one of only 9,009 deluxe coupes made that year). It came with an overhead console, floor console, wood-grained dash, in-dash clock, deluxe door panels etc.

However, previous owner(s) had pretty well trashed the interior before I bought the car in '82. They had painted (with a paint brush) the interior in white. --Was originally Parchment (beige).

I pitched the consoles and don't plan to replace them. The only real advantage the floor console had was the storage area at the front, but with a glovebox, this isn't really needed, and these consoles don't have a factory armrest on them. --only the Shelby consoles had that feature.

For me, my factory '68 console was just a large object, taking up a lot of space, and yielded little useful benefit.