distributor- 5spd vs auto?

PJx5x

Mar 30, 2005
Chicago
Hi. im doing a MAF conversion on my '68 stang, and am about done. But im searching for a distributor, as the one i have wass broken and is now an oil primer. Well, someone told me there is a difference between an auto and stick distributor, is this true? Thanks in advance for the help.

Also, is it worth getting a tune? What type of RWHP should i expect?

GT40 heads
exploder intake
BBK 75mm TB and EGR
F cam

• Sponsors (?)

The only difference I know of was in 85. The auto had a flat tapped cam therefore having a cast iron distributor gear. The 5-speed had a roller cam and had a steal gear. Other than that I think they are the same.

I think the only difference between a stock EFI 5spd and auto distributor,is that the TFI module on the 5spd distributor has a feature that allows the car to be push started.:shrug:

Right, the Manual transmission TFI module had a feature (more dwell?)written into the code for push-starting. The auto trans TFI module didn't.

Both will work - but you can't push start one of them...

For aero foxes, there is NO difference in auto and 5 speed TFI's.

The grey one is the push-start TFI but it could come on autos (it is the earlier aero fox design). The later CCD TFI's were black.

If the dizzy/car used a push start TFI, replace it with a push start (Grey) TFI. If it had a CCD TFI, replace it with such. And if in doubt, check the wiring because they are pinned different. But each will plug into the other's receptacle, which kinda sucks.
You'll know if you have the wrong one installed via an IDM code, and craptastic performance (which varies a bit depending upon which module you had and which you replaced it with).