DISTRIBUTOR into the OIL SHAFT PROBLEM!

Hey guys...

Got a question...

Anyone have a problem with the oil shaft not wanting to line up with the distributor properly?

I am having a serious problem and am PISSED OFF!

What did you guys use to remedy this problem?

I forgot if the shaft can come off from the top or not, becasue I am bout to rip the shaft out and tape it to the damn DIZZY!

Thanks!

PEte :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Well u cant rip the shaft out, it hs a retainer clip and must be installed from the bottom while the oil pump is off. It does prove to be a bitch every once in a while, some shaking and slight massaging of the shaft will get it to slip in. OR, it could be bent. Is the motor ourt of the car? Examine the distributor and make sure nothing is impeeding its entry. While your sliding the distributor down there, are you rotating the dizzy rotor? that usually helps alot. Good luck.

I dont know how safe of a procedure this is, but I have bumped the motor with the dist almost in (resting on the oil pump) and got it to line up this way. Sometimes it can be a PITA.

Very common problem.

If you cannot get the dist to seat in anywhere near the correct postion, and then turn it, you can turn the oil pump drive shaft by hand a bit to realign it.

take a 5/16 socket on a long extension and reach down there and turn it.

I recommend using the smallest one you have, such as a 1/4 in drive if you have it, and always tape the socket to the extension with elect tape or duct tape so it does not fall in also.

whatever you do...

Do not force it on there under any circumstances. I did this, on my last one. I got it started but couldn't get it to seat all the way, gave it a few love taps with rubber mallet and it went. Only problem was when I fired up the car, I lost oil pressure within seconds. the problem, the shaft snapped.

I have since pulled the motor, and replace the shaft on the oil pump. this shaft I have absolutely no problems gettin the distributor to take. I don't know maybe there is good shafts and bad shafts.

be careful and good luck

Motor is NOT in the car!

Such a PITA it is unbelievable! And I need this car running 2nite!

So... cant yank the oil shaft...

I did the socket trick a while ago and got the damn socket stuck in the thing and had tape around it!

I had to buy LOOOONG nosed pliers to take it out.

So.. yea I tried EVERY location on the dizzy, and I rotated it NON STOP... So I know myu timing is wayyy off.

Alright guys, im gonna try to use the socket trick again, this time im gonna tack weld it on the extension.

Thanks a million.

Pete

For some miracle I was with Jack Leoni(timmy, you know him) today and screwed with the Notch.. then for some miracle, I just was like ah no chance in it dropping in, let me just put the dizzy in the hole to prevent dirt from entering...

LOW AND BEHOLD... it fell RIGHT in the shaft!

I know the timing is screwed to hell, and I am scared as **** to take the dizzy back out, cuz I know it will NEVER go back in.

So...

Now out of the blue(since Timmy and Eric like to rig crap together), can I use the position the dizzy is now and just find TDC and remark #1 on the dizzy then re route the wires?

This is a DURASPARK car, no TFI module or anything attached, just the vaccume port.

Thanks,
Pete

BTW: Timmy, where did you basterds go last night, we went for gas and dropped by a 24hr SUSHI resteraunt, came back and you guys were GONE. :notnice:

tHERES GOTTA BE A SAFER WAY!

I think if i got the TDC on the right stroke, I can make it work properly if I re-do the firing order.

I dont see why it WONT work????

I dont think there is a SET mark if I position #1 and go from there at the point it is set at now.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????