do autolite AP-764s need to be gapped?

well I picked up some copper 764s today, gonna gap and install them once my motor has cooled off. Hopefully they work better than the platinums, I don't mind changing them more often because a 4.6 plug change takes no time lol

• Sponsors (?)

Let help clear this up for some of ya'll.

The reason our cars use the platinum plug is because of the coil packs. Cars with coil packs need more protection from the higher current. The platinum coating helps the plugs last longer. And they are better for our cars, unless your S/C or Turbo or using nos.

I use Motorcraft AGSF32FM plugs, They are nickel plated also....:nice:
And just FYI Im a 17 year exp. partsman :D

Outlaw97GT said:
The reason our cars use the platinum plug is because of the coil packs. Cars with coil packs need more protection from the higher current.

The higher resistance of the platnium condutor actually strains the coil packs even more. It's one of the reasons why car makers made the switch from a single coil and distributor to multiple COP's. They eliminated one of the sources of resistance. Modern COP's are very powerful, enough to overcome the higher resistance of a plat plug. For the most part if a car came factory with plat plugs, it's ok to run them. If a car comes originally with copper plugs (5.0 Mustangs) you should stick with the copper. 5.0's tend to detonate to hell if you run plats with stock ignitions.

Since this is a performance-based website, Copper plugs all the way. If this was a general automotive care forum then i'd suggest plats if you don't have the time for routine plug changes.

Well StanGT97's car and my car are both 97's. 96-98 didnt use COP, we have coil-packs. So its a little different ballgame.
Copper plugs will not last very long on a coil-pack car/truck, but if you like changing plugs twice a year go for it.

Outlaw97GT said:
Well StanGT97's car and my car are both 97's. 96-98 didnt use COP, we have coil-packs. So its a little different ballgame.
Copper plugs will not last very long on a coil-pack car/truck, but if you like changing plugs twice a year go for it.

Nah. Not sure who told you that. The copper plugs can easily last 2 years ~ 25k miles. I know b/c I've used them for the last 4 years.

Well I'd just like you guys to know that putting in the copper 764s made a world of difference! The exhaust seems to not pop as much, and acceleration is much smoother/faster. Kind of ridiculous how much better the car feels now... and if I need to change the plugs sooner than my platinums, then I think the gain I got makes it worthwhile

Honestly, the way ford makes the actual threads in the spark plug hole....i really don't wanna have to take out/install plugs that often..hell their is only like 3 threads down there.

I don't wanna chance stripping them...yikes. BTW they are aluminum, and no matter what you do, when ever you remove a steel thread spark plug, it grinds the aluminum threads and leaves microscopic shaving in the aluminum threads. You install the new steel thread plug, and grind into the aluminum thread......not good.

I'd rather change the plugs every couple years or so=platinum/30k miles etc.

mrvax said:
Nah. Not sure who told you that. The copper plugs can easily last 2 years ~ 25k miles. I know b/c I've used them for the last 4 years.

I deal with alot of auto tech's daily, being that Im a commercail parts guy. Commercail meaning I only sell to shops, dealerships, ect. And have known most of these techs for years.

So you can say that over the last 17 years that Ive been doing this, Ive pretty much seen it all bro...:nice:

Using copper plugs on a higher voltage coil-pack car will cause gap erosion which will effect's the firing tip. Platinum plugs have a center wire platinum firing tip.
Im not saying that we can't use them in our cars, they just wont last AS long. And if your NOT running with a power-adder, what is the point of using copper?

Mustang5L5 said:
I guess we both have differing opinions on the subject as copper plugs are the only plugs i would ever run in my car. :shrug:
No prob bro, thats why its nice to be American...:nice:
We can have a different opinion.

I wont diss you for being a copper guy. Now if you start using splitfire or +4 spark plugs Im gonna be all over ya.........:nonono:

Outlaw97GT said:
...Using copper plugs on a higher voltage coil-pack car will cause gap erosion which will effect's the firing tip. Platinum plugs have a center wire platinum firing tip.
Im not saying that we can't use them in our cars, they just wont last AS long. And if your NOT running with a power-adder, what is the point of using copper?

From what I read, yes, platinum plugs probably last twice as long as copper. When I changed my copper plugs (with 27k miles) I checked the gap and they were fine. ~ .055 and I had them at .053 to start. No noticable gap erosion.

The 4.6L guys on this board and corral.net that race often all recommend copper plugs for best performance. One name I can distinctly remember is Bill Putnam (Mustang92). I'm going for best performance and don't mind replacing plugs every 2 years. I can easily do the job in 1 hour.

If I had to change the coppers every 6 months then I would say, "screw it" and go platinum.