Do I really need this?

PJB

Aug 22, 2006
Rotterdam, NY
I had my rearend apart to do a 5 lug axle swap today and I had trouble getting this piece to go back in:
2442696_57_full.jpg

I ended up leaving it out. I didnt even see it in the pics of the differential in my Haynes manual where they showed how to take the axles out.
It fell out and there seemed to be no way this damn thing was going back in.
I hope its not completely necessary and wont really affect anything by not being there.

• Sponsors (?)

:jaw: Umm take that rear end apart and put that s spring in. that is the load for the clutches. You need it. Do not drive your car till you reinstall that. Ok I just did this job 2 days ago. Takea set of water pump plies (channel Locks) and hold and squeeze the back end together as you wiggle the spring in. The front will collaspe enough for you to get it in.

What is the purpose of it?
Like I said it wasnt even in the pics of the differential in the book.

I cant drive my car legally now (no fenders or rear lights since its at my friends shop) but I did take it down the road quick and it seemed fine.

It puts tension on your c-clips so they don't fall off when there isn't a load on them.

Without that part, one could fall off one day and your axle will slide out. Put it back in.

Does it go in before or after the small gears on the shaft?
They fell out and that was the main reason the spring came out.
I couldnt get it in with the gears in place.

Also do the axles need to be out to put it in?

Hopefully Ill be able to reuse the gear lube since its not cheap.

Ok your axles will have to be out aswell as the shaft in the middle. The spider gears and side gears will have to be installed (in) prior to installing the s-pring. Compress the spring as best you can with a channel lock plier and wiggle it in. Once you have iot started you can tap it in. Then push the axles back in and with needle nose pliers slip the c-clips in. then install the shaft through the midle and install the retaining bolt for the shaft.

This link expalins the entire rebuild. http://www.redpulsar.us/~coldfusion/tlok.html

Thanks.
Now Im pissed that I left this thing out. I was thinking it was just some kind of added safety part and it would be fine without it. I was wrong.
Ill hopefully be able to put it in Wednesday (next day off)- I wont be driving the car at all anyway.

Yep. I left the carrier in and just removed the spider gears by using 1 axle to twist one side gear. then i removed the side gears and the clutchs and schims. Then i after having the new clutch soak in the friction mofifier over night reinstalled in the reverse order. My car was on jack stands the entire time. Now i have a new TA diff cover on it aswell.