DO MUCH PAINTING??

• Sponsors (?)

yes i do need help, just general must know's to do an efficient paint job, do u sand or use chemical, if u sand, do u use a dual action sander, or sand blaster type setup, do u use 3 different guns one for each procedure (primer,base,clearcoat)? the paint i will be using is gun metal metallic gray, anything i need to know about painting with this color? Do u start on the outside of the section and work your way toward the middle? how many coats of each do you put on a car ? any kind of little helpful hints you can throw in would be very helpful!!!!

I looked into painting my car myself, but by the time I got all the equipment (a sander, compressor, couple paint guns, body hammers, dollys, etc) it would have cost like over $1000, I like to do everything myself, but it just doesn't seem practical.

you'd prob. spend more than $1000 if you were to pay someone to do a good job. I've heard some people sand it down themselves and then have like Maaco or Earl Sheib shoot the paint - heard that works out well and the paint only costs like $500 - I believe you can even supply your own paint if you don't want to use their paint. Usually at those places, I hear, it's the prep work and post work that are inadequate.

painting my car now, its really not that hard, you need plenty of patience, a GOOD GUN, nice air compressor, and someone with you who kinda of knows what there doing. You may want to use two guns, one for the primer if needed, if you have lots of scartches you need to get the scratch filler primer, Im at work so I forgot the exact name of it, or you can just sand them down till you cant fill them with your hand, and go to autozone and grab some spray can primer, I really dont like using the chems to remove the paint because it seems much harder to get the primer off, the body work is almost the most important part of painting a car, because once you apply the paint, you see all of the flaws, and when youre ready to paint, go get a hvlp paint gun, make sure its a good one to, you will need it because if its your first time painting you will have runs, and the hvlp gun applies the paint with less pressure, you should apply 2 coats of paint, and when youre ready for the clear coat, use the same gun, and after every coat you spray, clean the gun with thiner, oh yea, when your applying the paint, make sure you use the same angle, either back and forth, or up and down, what evers easier, on a 75 degree angle, and about 6in away from the car, with the paint, you can do sections, wait a little while, and do another section, but with the clear coat, do the whole car at one time, dont stop. I was happy with about 3 clear coats, but you can get away with 2, I think I will have about 5 clear coats by the time Im done because I want the wet look. After you clear you will need to buff the clear coat.

high volume low pressure, with regular guns you get a lot of overspray becaue the gun is shooting out paint so fast. That is a good idea about getting something to practice on, i practiced on my hood first, take a look at some of my pics. my hood was my practice piece, but what ever you practice on, make sure it sits up straight, because if its on an angle, the paint will run.

Attachments

• hood33.JPG
    hood33.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 153
I think that it is funny, scotty says he can tell you anything you need to know, but he never replied to the thread again. I am a profectionist so I think that painting is probably one of those things best left to the professionals, at least in my case. I also live in a town that is extremely dusty so painting without a booth is kind of hard.

there are different kinds of paint, i use enamal based paint, where you have to use one part paint, one part base maker, so if you get 2 quarts of each, they make a gallon, not sure what youre talking about the 200-300 cc a minute, but when youre painting you want to have 35-40 psi to the gun.

If your painting in a garage or something, there are a few tricks to prevent dust from getting into your paint. you want to clean the place REAL well first of all. Then if you can get a hold of old blankets etc, you want to hang blankets up on all walls, and DRENCH them with water. Get them as wet as you can, also soak the floor with water. Then after the car is clean (after body work etc), you bring it in, and start your paint job.

I think your supposed to rinse the car with something, that makes it really clean. Alcohol rings a bell, but im not sure?

Sorry guys I have been out of town. I will answer some of the wrong answers that were posted. If you are going to use base coat clear coat (bc/cc) you should use as many coat of base coat as you to need to get full covarge usally 3-5 coats depending on the color and quality of paint used. After the proper amount of flash time then apply 2-3 coats of clear coat. And dont clean you gun between coats that is retarted. I love when people say painting is easy. You can F*** up a whole car if you dont know what you are doing.

You should use a conventional style of paint gun not a HLVP unless you have a big compressor and have sprayed with one before. High volume low pressure guns use a lot of air about 18-25 cfm of air you will need a good size compressor to keep up with a hvlp. And they are harder to spray than a conventional gun.

Any questions let me know?

i only have a 33 gallon 150psi 6 hp air compressor and i dont have a problem with it at all, i just got my hvlp gun in march and love it, saves paint, and doesnt run as much as a convential gun, and i think it is best to clean the gun after ever coat because when the paint dries its hard to clean it, because you have to wait a couple of hours for the paint and clear to dry, and everyone has their own method of painting, so dont consider my methods wrong, last year was my first time painting without help from anyone, just asked lots of questions, and learned as i went, dont have any orange peels, and a flawless job, when i bought my 97 vert it had a big as@ dent on the rear bumper and quarter, straighten out everything myself and should be ready to spray within weeks, also I dont feel you need 3-5 coats of paint, thats over kill, 2 will be just fine