DO MUCH PAINTING??

the paint the guy gave me was 2 gallons of paint and 2 fairly large bottles of paint catalyst, whats the deal with that? and i have a 5.5 horse 25 gallon compressor, jus so u know. and whats the deal with what maverick said about cleanin it right bfor you paint?

• Sponsors (?)

Listen, I am a professional painter. I do it ALL day long every day. Not only do I work for a "company" I also do side work out of the garage where I have a complete setup, much as what I use at work. I know what I'm doing and have been doing it for at least 10 years. I am ASE certified and am not only a master collision tech but also a refinishing tech and I also am ICAR certified in paint refinish -- that's just a couple of my qualifications. Please, don't question my knowlege.

You should use 3-5 coats of base coat and 2-3 coats of clear. 2 coats will be fine if you use a single stage paint but not bc/cc. Technically you only need to wait about 10 mins between coats. So there is no need to clean the gun every single time you spray a coat. But of course, it's up to you, if you want to wait 2 hours and waste your time and clean the gun each time go for it but you don't have too.

As for the dust in the garage -- what Maverick said --

You should clean the garage real well prior to painting. IF you want to drench your walls w/ blankets you can but it's not going to be a huge deal if you don't. However, you should wet the floor down.

If you have any questions, send me a private message. I'll reply.

Just remember your paint will only look as good as your prep. You save time on the prep and you guess it the paint job will look the same way...Like crap. Take your time preping and priming the car, and also practice on some small things first. Because painting is one of those things you have to do to learn, you can't just read about it. Good luck with your paint and post some pics when you get it done

Ok, time for another professional painter to step in here. LOL. I would recommend using an HVLP gun just for the fact that you get somewhere around 70% of the material on the panel and the other 30% goes in the air. So basiclly you don't waster material. Basecoat/Cleacoat is the way to go. Enamel paint or Single Stage paints are way out of date. LOL. If you want to change the color of you car it is going to cost ya a pretty penny. If you change the color of you car you don't need Primer unless your fixing dents. What we use at the shop that I work at is RED Scotch Brite pads and Final Sand ( scuff cream). Use a little bit of water to get it soapy. Use the two together and sand the panel. What you are doing is putting scratches into the panel so the paint has something to stick too. You can't paint over a shiny surface, it won't stay. Once the panel is scuffed it is very important to clean the panel with Wax and Grease remover. IF not you will get problems like fisheyes and what not. Now, you can get your spray gun(s) and first spray Adhesion Promoter, then your color roughly 3 coats depending on how well it covers, then 2-3 coats of Clearcoat. At the shop I work at we only put 2 coats on since it's a production shop we don't use as much clear on cars as you may put on a show car. Of course you will have "orange peel" in your clear. To get that Show Car look you will need to wetsand the clear with 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper then get some Rubbing compound and a buffer. Then get some Polish to take away the swirl marks. Paint is not easy, I would do some reading first before starting a project like this. I live in Columbus, OH. I will paint someones car for them for $1500. LOL. Shameless plug.