do u have to re-shim the rearend on a diff change?

90lxcoupe

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
does the differential have to be re shimmed and the backlash reset if i am not changing gears and just putting in a new posi unit and axles?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. Manufacturing tolerances between the different posi units could be enough to throw off your rear end. You may luck out and have them stay the same, but you'll never know unless you have a dial indicator to check backlash.

90lxcoupe said:
does the differential have to be re shimmed and the backlash reset if i am not changing gears and just putting in a new posi unit and axles?

thanks

if going from ford to ford , probably not if going from ford to a eaton or auburn then probably so ......check it with a dial to make sure , dont just guess

I did the same thing on my rear end (put a Truetrac LSD in my Dana rear end). We checked backlash before loosening anything -- it was within factory spec. Then we set the shims up on the new diff exactly like they were on the open diff we removed. We lucked out -- it went in, and the backlash was exactly as it was with the previous diff.

But -- you need to measure, and be prepared to re-shim because it may be necessary.

There is no such thing as a backlash gauge. What is used is a magnetic base (a good one) and a dial indicator. Backlash is measured by setting the gauge up to push against the ring gear in parallel, zeroed out, then the ring gear is rocked back and forth to get the complete range of motion (or gap between the ring gear teeth and pinion teeth). It has been a long time but if I remember I think the spec is .08"-.15".

take the time to do it right. Check the backlash and make sure it's within spec. I figure it's better to do it right the first time, instead of having to redo everything later. I reshimed my new carrier and it took all of 15 min.