DO you ice your intake after runing at the track??????

• Sponsors (?)

Like i said man...when i go to the track and my car is cool as cool gets it runs 12.68-12.72 EVERTIME......When i ice the intake and inlet pipe it runs 12.58-12.64 everytime.......It may not works for some people but it works for me. So you can type all day long its not going to stop me from using a few bags of ice at the track.....i dont care if i dont use it on the street...i use it at the track and thats that.

You can mimic me...quote me....laugh at me.....i dont really care... i use ice and IT WORKS.

mike keirstead said:
Like i said man...when i go to the track and my car is cool as cool gets it runs 12.68-12.72 EVERTIME......When i ice the intake and inlet pipe it runs 12.58-12.64 everytime.......It may not works for some people but it works for me. So you can type all day long its not going to stop me from using a few bags of ice at the track.....i dont care if i dont use it on the street...i use it at the track and thats that.

You can mimic me...quote me....laugh at me.....i dont really care... i use ice and IT WORKS.

hey your ice works for you and my left sock change after every run works for me. And my point mimicing you is that your word isn't the law chief. Hey i bet you run the twister in your intake also, how much does that drop- the et also. another .10

mike keirstead said:
Your real funny...i dont use a twister....i am just saying that ice works for MEEEEEEEEE.. maybe not the next guy...so piss off

hahahaha I saw the estimate et drop in your sig so I figured your must have or be planning on installing the twister and icing your intake to drop a full second. Sorry if I assumed anything. But the changing of the sock works for meeeeeee to, later buddy.

bmo37 said:
and all u guys saying it works on an efi car... BS... I know its not possible to cool the intake that much to make a difference in between runs. Ever hear of the concept of intercooler on boosted applications, wonder why they don't give that up and make intake manifold coolers instead since if works so well like you say.

Point im making is that in between runs your not going to be able to cool the intake enough to make a difference in your run. Its all in your head. After every run I change my left sock and I gain 1/10 so it must work too.

How do you know it doesnt work, have you ever tried it? Man you must like to argue. :notnice:

I iced mine for about an hour straight before I did my run and got noticeabley stronger throttle response. The intake was not completely cool, but it was definitely COOLER than it was before. I also iced the filterbox and all the rubber tubing...everything except the MAF.

stanggod said:
How do you know it doesnt work, have you ever tried it? Man you must like to argue. :notnice:

yes i have and it doesn't drop your et .10 of a second, I've had 3 stangs, 1 camaro and a gta trans am, and its just a placebo effect. Like i said i change my left sock after every race and i drop .10 of a second every time i do it.

On a carbed application the ice on the intake has little effect but on a efi application with an upper and lower intake its damn near impossible to drop the temp of the intake and transfer the temp drop from the upper and into the lower intake.

also the entering air doesn't sit long enough in the intake to be affected by its temp, if it wasn't the case car engineers would design intakes to circulate coolant throught themselves, the reason they don't is it doesn't effect the incomming air enough to make a difference.

bmo37 said:
yes i have and it doesn't drop your et .10 of a second, I've had 3 stangs, 1 camaro and a gta trans am, and its just a placebo effect. Like i said i change my left sock after every race and i drop .10 of a second every time i do it.

On a carbed application the ice on the intake has little effect but on a efi application with an upper and lower intake its damn near impossible to drop the temp of the intake and transfer the temp drop from the upper and into the lower intake.

also the entering air doesn't sit long enough in the intake to be affected by its temp, if it wasn't the case car engineers would design intakes to circulate coolant throught themselves, the reason they don't is it doesn't effect the incomming air enough to make a difference.

When my mustang was stock, by using ice on the intake I picked up .25 and 2mph. You obviously don't know what you are talking about, just pick up MM&FF and see the results they get with iced intakes. Also look into people who run air to water intercoolers, and drop icy water in them. I guess they don't know what they are doing either.

you can't compare an intercooler that cools the acutal air to icing your intake. If you can use physics to prove your heat transfer (or drop from that matter) than I'll listen. No one can convince me that by putting ice on your upper intake that you'll be able to affect the incomming air temp going into the engine.

Funny you guys keep firing back but with no proof. I'm just sticking up for my opinion that this guy calls BS.

bmo37 said:
you can't compare an intercooler that cools the acutal air to icing your intake. If you can use physics to prove your heat transfer (or drop from that matter) than I'll listen. No one can convince me that by putting ice on your upper intake that you'll be able to affect the incomming air temp going into the engine.

Funny you guys keep firing back but with no proof. I'm just sticking up for my opinion that this guy calls BS.

Hard to prove unless you go to the track and make runs without, and with. You could also do it on the dyno. Why can't you compare the intercooler to an intake? Have you actually seen a water to air intercooler in person.

stanggod said:
Hard to prove unless you go to the track and make runs without, and with. You could also do it on the dyno. Why can't you compare the intercooler to an intake? Have you actually seen a water to air intercooler in person.

yes i've seen one, i had a p1sc on my 92 stang, and i also seen an air to air intercooler. And no its not hard to prove using phsysics and the transfer of heat for metals.

And you can't compare an intercooler to icing the intake because your not driving the car with ice on it, where its cooling the incomming air going to the engine.

here's a test go heat a stove kettle till its burning hot, now put 5 or six ice cubes on it (keeping the weight ratio the same just like a 35lb intake to a 5 lb bag of ice). Now pour the water out of the kettle, you tell me if its going to be cold.

Im not going to bicker anymore, I say it doesn't you say it does, whatever man I just get mad when people disrespect me.

SHAGGY87 said:
Mr. Yount,

I see that you look at things in an adversarial manner...

Why do lots of people ice their intakes in the staging lanes? Same reason as 90% of people like SpongeBob-Square Pants, or as all those folks a few years back wore their 'CK' shirts - because it's the latest thing.... If so-and-so is doing it, it must be good, so I'll do it too!

You have missed the point completely in what I'm stating. The temp. of the intake manifold itself will not have an influence on the incoming air temp, there is not enough saturation time for there to be an effect. The air is moving at aprox. 10 cfs - 600cfm, tell me where and how the heat transfer will take place? There is not enough dwell time - saturation time. If the air was stagnant then yes, then the air would be hotter. But in this N.A. application the incoming intake air charge will not change temperature from O.A.T. all the way to the combustion chamber (well, maybe ~2-3 degrees). Please show me in a formulaic manner if you care to differ.

Most race car applications produce abundant power in a richer than stoichiometric condition.

Good day Mr. Yount
so let me get this right
intercoolers wouldn't work either then correct?

rx7speed,

Why wouldn't intercoolers work, they do. You're on the right train of thought,
so what is the magic phrase missing here. You tell me, I know it, and I'll talk about it later. I just want to hear a naysayer describe why it works and why icing an intake works. The sensors cooling down and giving the comp. a 'cold' reading is the correct answer for the increased throttle response and for a .10 sec increase in the 1/4 mile. But icing an intake does not change the actual incoming charge air temp to decrease.

bmo37, right on bro - good job seeing the light!

bmo37 said:
... also the entering air doesn't sit long enough in the intake to be affected by its temp, if it wasn't the case car engineers would design intakes to circulate coolant throught themselves, the reason they don't is it doesn't effect the incomming air enough to make a difference.
A 5.0 efi intake does have coolant circulated through the upper/lower intake and the egr spacer.

I think that it has been fairly well established by posters here as well as various performance publications that icing the intake has an effect. The question seems to be, what is the actual mechanism at work.
the other guy said:
... EFI car allows the intake to cool, which in turn provides a lower reading on the sensors in the manifold, which tricks the computer into thinking the engine is cold so it is safe to supply a better timing and fuel curve.
This seems to be very plausible, and it's what I've always heard even to the case of running 180 degree F thermostat, but it has been stated that even carb'd cars benefit from icing the intake. It would seem any means of lowering temp. is beneficial even Icing an aluminum intake.

Azul93GT said:
A 5.0 efi intake does have coolant circulated through the upper/lower intake and the egr spacer.

I think that it has been fairly well established by posters here as well as various performance publications that icing the intake has an effect. The question seems to be, what is the actual mechanism at work.
This seems to be very plausible, and it's what I've always heard even to the case of running 180 degree F thermostat, but it has been stated that even carb'd cars benefit from icing the intake. It would seem any means of lowering temp. is beneficial even Icing an aluminum intake.

show me where the upper intake circulates coolant please, unless you have a magic intake that no one else does, and the egr isn't part of the intake system rather the coolant circulated through it is used to cool the recirculated gases that weren't fully burnt by the combustion process otherwise you'll be pumping hot exhaust gases into your combustion chamber.

plus i stated carb cars would benefit more so than an efi simply cause there is less metal to cool. What nobody understands is your trying to use ice to cool metal, than use that metal to cool air, now our intakes aren't like intercoolers where metal fins (accept the heat), and air/liquid transfers (cools the incomming air). Last time i checked our intakes don't have small rows of cores insdie them that the incomming air goes through.

bmo37 said:
show me where the upper intake circulates coolant please, unless you have a magic intake that no one else does, and the egr isn't part of the intake system rather the coolant circulated through it is used to cool the recirculated gases that weren't fully burnt by the combustion process otherwise you'll be pumping hot exhaust gases into your combustion chamber...
I no longer have my stock intake manifolds, but isn't there a single water passage in the very center of the intake between the upper and the lower? I could be wrong.

My point in mentioning the EGR spacer was only to ask the question that, doesn't that device serve to moderate the temp. of the intake tract? Therefore is it possible that a cooler intake manifold can effect intake air density? We know that a hotter header effects exhaust gas density. I knows it's not exactly apples to apples.

bmo37 said:
I agree with shaggy, in theory cooler more dense air makes more hp, but the intake itself is a 30 lb piece of metal that hot from driving now your telling me by ploping a bag of ice on top is going to cool the intake to make enough difference on the incomming air, that your et will reflect it. Again I say its the placebo effect also.

I would say yes it could happen if you decide to take the upper and lower intake off in between runs and through it in a freezer for a couple of hours and could magically install it within 10 mins, than I would say yeah it effect performance.

Have you developed the skills to run back-back runs within a hundredth or so of eachother given equal track/weather conditions?

Have you ever put your hand on an upper intake that has been iced with a garbage bag full of ice (say 5+ lbs) on a hot summer day?

Have you ever compared that to an upper intake that was not iced or cooled in any way? The temperature difference can easily be ~200 degrees on a typical summer day. The ~18" or so of runner length when frigid have a profound affect on the incoming air temperature.

I am a consistent enough driver to witness the HP advantage of icing, roughly a solid mph on my car, easy 10 HP.

Have you ever dyno'd your car even? Ever do a pull after a 30 minute cool down, with ice, and then one off the street at full temperature? No? lol.

N20 sprayed on an intercooler has a similar effect. Let me guess, you've never witnessed that on a dyno either?