DON'T BUY GAS ON MAY 19TH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apsychotic

Dec 5, 2003
Hey Everyone, Check this out. It's of interest to all of us.

Subject: DON'T BUY GASOLINE ON MAY 19, 2004
>
>
>IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT
>PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE
>OIL
>COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.
>
>AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF
>OVER
>4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL
>COMPANIES.
>
>THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR
>behind
>"DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF
>GASOLINE
>THAT DAY.
>
>THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY
>PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.
>
>WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS
>NOT
>GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES
>THAT
>THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?
>
>REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT
>THE
>SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES
>ARE
>FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT
>IS
>SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL
>SUPPLIES
>ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!
>
>WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY,
>WE
>WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
>
>SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE
>YOU
>KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF
>THE
>UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"
:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Won't work. Unless everyone boycots driving their cars, starts car pooling, or rides a bike it will not have an affect on the oil companies. They know they have us by the .... for our choices in cars and our lifestyle. They know you are just going to have to buy gas the next day, or the day after, or the day after that. They know we have no other option.

1. Keep buying your SUV's
2. Don't write or e mail the Congress and free up more drilling (if we don't find more what we have cost more, Supply and demand).

The U.S. is very depentant on oil from overseas. But we have as much or more oil here in the US than has been pulled out the ground than we have used but we need to drill for it, it does not come up by itself. :flag:

Ya'll are going to gripe at me but hey if the prices keep going up maybe people will stop buying SUV, and the big three will push a little harder to build us more efficient vehicles.

PLEASE READ THIS AND PASS THE INFO ALONG:

The most common problem I hear when people talk about the gas prices and our apparent "oil problem" is that we don't have enough of it and we rely on places like Iraq now for it. This is heavily misconstrued....

The fact is that the US DOES have enough resources for oil here, like in Alaska and Texas. We actually rely on a very SMALL percentage of imported oil to be truthful. As a country we actually have plenty... so, what's the problem??

WE ONLY HAVE ONE REFINERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not that we don't have enough oil, it's that we only have ONE refinery to convert the stuff to usable gasoline. It's been like this forever! The fact is that we can't convert it fast enough to meet the demand, hence the prices going through the roof. In the mid 90's there was actually talk of adding a $0.50 tax on all gasoline prices to go towards the building of a second refinery and put us back below the $1.25 mark. But it never passed because at the time people just couldn't imagine paying a whole $1.80 on their gasoline for a year!

So look at us now, paying out the @$$ still... over $2.00 a gallon now... and none of that includes the tax for a new refinery.

So please, educate yourselves and others on the ACTUAL problem and maybe we will eventually resolve it. Knowledge really IS power.

I'd glady pay $2.50 a gallon all summer long if it meant that I would be paying over a dollar less later on!

-Tim

A one day boycott will not change anything.

If it did have an impact, like causing a mini glut, it would just cause shipments to be delayed and a back-up at the depots. This would slow production for the following days which would cause a price increase because production lines were backed up and production slowed.
Or it could cause a rush on fuel the next day, since no one bought the day before... that is 'high demand' and would give an excuse to raise the price more.

What gets me is that every year around Memorial Day, for example, they say the price goes up because demand goes up. It seems to me that this would be a perfect place to start investigations in price gouging. It happens every year for decades, yet they don't know yet to plan ahead for demand... I call B/S on that. It is just an excuse to gouge.

Another thing, if gas stations charged say $0.05 a gallon, you would still pay from .75 to 1.30 a gallon depending on where you live... that is how much tax there is on gas. That is where your govt can help... reduce tax.
Beware of Democrats as well, they have announced their plans, though no one seems to be listening... They want to jack the price of fuel up so high with taxes and regulation that it forces folks to drive less. The plan is to get the taxes on fuel to about $5 per gallon, before the price of the fuel itself. Gore, Kerry, and several others have been quoted in print on this plan for years. Gore has a whole chapter on it in his book. Kerry has it in his first year budget planning. The Green party is even worse, their platform calls for something along the lines of $5 in additional taxes per gallon!

Sorry for the political response. It just burns my butt.
They are all crooks, but I have to go with the folks that look out for my famliy values, cars, and guns.
Dave

lets jus offer them more...

I feel like I just called you all Chevy lovers or something. I never guessed I'd get such a negitive response! Great, if you all like paying top dollar for gas. Some of you all must have more $$$ than you need? Hey, i'd love to pay $3.50 gallon for 87, and sure, just keep the change, I've got lot's more where that came from. Oh Magooh. :damnit: The government DOES have control of fuel taxes, and that's where most of the money is going!

EL1NOR said:

The most common problem I hear when people talk about the gas prices and our apparent "oil problem" is that we don't have enough of it and we rely on places like Iraq now for it. This is heavily misconstrued....

The fact is that the US DOES have enough resources for oil here, like in Alaska and Texas. We actually rely on a very SMALL percentage of imported oil to be truthful. As a country we actually have plenty... so, what's the problem??

It's not that we don't have enough oil, it's that we only have ONE refinery to convert the stuff to usable gasoline. It's been like this forever! The fact is that we can't convert it fast enough to meet the demand, hence the prices going through the roof. In the mid 90's there was actually talk of adding a $0.50 tax on all gasoline prices to go towards the building of a second refinery and put us back below the $1.25 mark. But it never passed because at the time people just couldn't imagine paying a whole $1.80 on their gasoline for a year!

So look at us now, paying out the @$$ still... over $2.00 a gallon now... and none of that includes the tax for a new refinery.

So please, educate yourselves and others on the ACTUAL problem and maybe we will eventually resolve it. Knowledge really IS power.

I'd glady pay $2.50 a gallon all summer long if it meant that I would be paying over a dollar less later on!

-Tim

Can you provide info on "WE ONLY HAVE ONE REFINERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ? Maybe I'm missing something, but I know here in So. Cal. (Wilmington aka Terminal Island) has 8 - 10 refineries. I also thought we imported as much crude as we produced?

I'd pay 5.00 a gallon if i had to... NOT getting rid of my 67, my 76 bronco, or my 98 expo v-8!! I do belive its higher than it needs to be, but they know they have our balls in a juicer.. we cant live without gasoline... I just wish i had a diesel in my SUV diesel is like 20 cents a gallon cheaper here (iowa)

The gas price hike is just an OPEC scam.

We have enough oil in storage here in the U.S. to last over 50 years at the current consumption rate.

There is a recent study done about gas prices. Compared to the 1960's oil is cheaper, costs of refining are less, but the tax is much, much higher...Which is why the price of gas is so expensive..Darn Government!

Heck, maybe its a political scam..Hike it up and then the Bush can say that he's responsible for lowering it..

2.00 still isnt too bad! People in the Carribean are paying 5.00 now!

========
This just in..Ford has scrapped the current 2005 mustang prototype for a modern version of the 74-78 Mustang II. Complete with the 1.0 litre I-3 engine making 40hp. Also, an optional Gas/Electric engine will be available.

Boycotting for one day won't make gas cheaper. Unless we alter our use or increase production, nothing will change. I am sick of that retarded email every year. Anybody who thinks that will really work needs a brain transplant.

EL1NOR has it it right on the head.... The their hasn't been a refinery built in the U.S. in over 20 years. While the U.S. demand for gas has gone up, the amount of oil we can refine in to gas has stayed the same. U.S. refineries (there is more than one) are operating at 95% capacity, with the other 5% being for maintenance of the equipment.

Furthermore, companies don't want to invest in new refineries because 1. The are very cosly to build due to environmental regulations 2. They fear that due to new technolgy, the internal cumbustion engine will die, leaving them with the debt of a new refinery on their hands.

The laws of supply and demand are in effect here. When demand is high, supply goes down which increases prices. The only way to lower prices is to increase supply. Oil alone will not solve our problems, we need a way to refine that oil.

EL1NOR said:

-Tim
Take a bow!!!! Thank you!!!

A lot of this has been said, but I have to chip in.

The gas out is a dumb idea, doesn't do anything. You have to change your gas consumption to affect the industry.

Wiser things to do IMO are:
1. Get rid of money-sucking ethanol subsidies. Ethanol costs more in energy to produce than it provides as fuel. In other words, we pay taxes to give to corn growers and ADM so that our gas can cost more.

2. Get rid of 10,000 different blends of "environmentally friendly" gas required by different government regulations. It's got to cost a fortune for the oil companies to produce all this stuff, and to maintain extremely tight controls on inventories to manage it all. Plus, there's no value in it, IMO.

3. The cost of gas doesn't make that huge a difference in my life. If you can't stand paying it, get a bike or ride the bus. Or buy a yugo.. :nonono:

4. Gas is pretty inexpensive, and taxes make up the most of the cost. If you want to lower the price, start with the government taxes. Vote for the people who say they want to lower taxes in your next, and every future election.

5. Yeah the reserves are big, but I would prefer to see the current situation. The opec nations will increase production eventually, and everything will go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.