Door lock actuator?

1qckFOX

Jan 1, 2004
Ok, recently i just got a alarmed installed. One of my doors does not lock but it would not work before with the power locks. The guy said it was the motor but some people tell me it's the door lock actuator. Who is right?

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds to me as if both folks are talking about the same thing only they're each giving it a different name. The door lock actuator is a motor of sorts (rather a solenoid but works under the same principal as a motor). Either way, there's only one electricly operated linear actuator in your door, despite what folks choose to call it. The only other "motor" in your door is a rotary actuator and it's for the power windows (if so equiped) and wouldn't have anything to do with you door lock.

Daggar said:
It sounds to me as if both folks are talking about the same thing only they're each giving it a different name. The door lock actuator is a motor of sorts (rather a solenoid but works under the same principal as a motor). Either way, there's only one electricly operated linear actuator in your door, despite what folks choose to call it. The only other "motor" in your door is a rotary actuator and it's for the power windows (if so equiped) and wouldn't have anything to do with you door lock.

Agreed. :nice:

and you can search Jrichker's home page for the retrofit if you dont want to shell out 40 bucks for a new actuator. ~3 bucks per actuator and a bit of time to fab it up. ive done it and it works great. :)

good luck.

what door r u looking 4? i just went to a local junk yard and got one for my car, its for my pass door, i believe there the same, i could always go back and get a 5 finger discount on the other actuator for ya.

As requested...

Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems http://jrichker.stangnet.com/Mustang_tech/door_actuator_fix/1_of_8_door_actuator.htm

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $4. Fix one side for $17, do both sides for only $23. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.

racer_inboston said:
I tried getting some of the parts at home depot, they have no idea what I'm looking for even when I show them the stuff I printed out from jrichker..i'll do a lil more research
My recollection that Mr. Richker's list is quite specific. You might just have to look at the bags of nuts and bolts till you find the correct sizes.

Good luck.