Dorman Intake Manifold

98GTstanger

Nov 14, 2010
I have a Dorman Intake Manifold with an aluminum water crossover on my 98 GT and I was wondering if anyone knew if the intake was compatible with the 2003 GT heads I will be putting in for the PI Swap?

• Sponsors (?)

98GTstanger:

If the Dorman is a PI intake then, yes, it will fit on the PI heads. If it is an NPI intake then it will not fit on the PI heads. The intake ports are shaped differently and there is a cooling water port that will not match very well (resulting in a leak). The NPI intake is much more restrictive than the PI intake. You will find tons of threads that describe the performance gains to be had by NPI engines with the PI intake.

As 98COBRA281 said, put an OEM PI intake on those PI heads. The cost of the intake is small compared to the cost of the whole project and, really, you don't want to go to all that effort and not get the most performance out of your new setup.

HTH,

Chris

Dorman now has a PI replacement intake part#615-175 , non PI is 615-178 , it does have the metal crossover , not sure about the restriction part , I doubt its any restriction since its copied directly off the OE piece

Some people are just hung up on name brand:shrug:? My Dorman functions the same as the stock p.i. intake plus Dorman put an extra port for an aftermarket coolant temp gauge.

We took the dorman off my 99 that 98cobra281 was talking about, when we swapped to the ford pi intake the car was much more responsive, felt alot more torquier, and just sounded healthier. Dormans suck!!!

the extra power and torque are not from the port shape and size of the pi intake, it comes from the longer intake runners. its all in the velocity of the runners that makes the difference. the h/c/i combo make the most power but cams and intake alone are well worth the chedder for extra power and not that involved as a head swap. say compare the pi intake against the truck mani and they flow about the same, but when the intake manifols runners are opened in the truck, the truck mani out flows the pi in the mustang