Drag radial ?

HoofnIt

Founding Member
Jan 8, 2001
North Carolina
I am wondering which size rim 15, 16 or 17" would be best for a dedicated set of drag wheels. I have 3.55 gears and thought I would go with a shorter tire so would 15" be best? What is the best width to go with, 6,7 or 8 "? Also are the MT ET streets tubeless? I still have my 16" waffles but I noticed that there are not that many sizes available for 16 wheels. THX

• Sponsors (?)

Rim diameter doesn't determine tire height, the tire size does and more importantly its aspect ratio. The more sidewall the better as it acts as a little cushion when the tires are hit with all the power in a 5 speed car. I've run 245-50-16 nitto dr's on my old 16X7 wheels, 26X10.5X16 ET streets on a set of stock 16X7 "waffle wheels", and now I run 315-35-17 nitto DR's on my 17X10.5 wheels. If I was buying a set dedicated for drag strip use only, I'd go with a 15" wheel in at least a 9" width, and a set of ET streets. ET streets state that they need tubes, but I know a lot of guys that run them without them. I have tubes in mine though because the guy mounting them stuck them in without me knowing.