Drag radials VS. d.o.t approved slicks

I'm looking to get some nice sticky tires as soon as i can get my torque boxes welded up and the reinforcements in. 31 spline axles and carrier is in the near future as well as welding the axle tubes.

I mainly drive my car on the weekends (1-200 miles or so each nice weekend) and only see the track a few times a year for now. I want a tire that'll hook awesome on the street and hold a 100-150 shot outta the hole for the very occasional ls1 light to light action.

Now i have no experience with slicks but i have heard that they don't hook on the street as well as say ET Street radials.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I think right now the top dog for street/strip is probably the Mickey Thompson drag radial, but the life of the tire is suuuuper short. For my money i'd go with BFG DR's over ET Streets, because as you said, Streets don't hook for crap on the street and if you get caught in the rain, you're history.

Yeah...even though ET Streets are legal, chances are damn good that you'll get a ticket anyways for insufficient tread unless your groove in the ET's is deep enough....which basically means that after a few passes/burnouts, you're no longer legal.

Reactions: 1 user
85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Yeah...even though ET Streets are legal, chances are damn good that you'll get a ticket anyways for insufficient tread unless your groove in the ET's is deep enough....which basically means that after a few passes/burnouts, you're no longer legal.

Yea you can fight it, but it's really not worth the hassel. I would probably get some drag radials for the street for better stability anyways. Slicks can get a little hairy around turns..

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
I think right now the top dog for street/strip is probably the Mickey Thompson drag radial, but the life of the tire is suuuuper short. For my money i'd go with BFG DR's over ET Streets, because as you said, Streets don't hook for crap on the street and if you get caught in the rain, you're history.
So your saying that ET street radials won't hook on the street?

I have used et streets on my car now, and

IT HOOKS AWESOME on the street. Nothing like the track, but for not being heated up and having possible gravel and dirt around, let me tell you they hook and my car dosent even chirp second on the street, it just gives a bark. At that track, i can powershift everygear and it dead hooks, though off the line i have trouble getting them too hook. At the line i have them at about 13psi, 10 second burnout and with a like 2k rpm drop they dont spin, but they have trouble hooking up, may be my suspension, may be that their used havent figure it out yet.

But if your worried about them hooking on the street they WILL hook good on the street, actually i have a little video, heres from a first gear roll with a little clutch drop.

http://media.putfile.com/launch57

I driven them around on the street for about a month at a time and they drive just like any other street tire, life is ALOT less though so that would be the down side, though you said its a weekend car. I dont have expierence but ive heard the MT DR's hook just as good as the et streets, so id just look for the best price, etc, dr's also come in bigger sizes. Im going with E.T. Drags when i replace the tires on my draglites :)

mob said:
I have used et streets on my car now, and

IT HOOKS AWESOME on the street. Nothing like the track, but for not being heated up and having possible gravel and dirt around, let me tell you they hook and my car dosent even chirp second on the street, it just gives a bark. At that track, i can powershift everygear and it dead hooks, though off the line i have trouble getting them too hook. At the line i have them at about 13psi, 10 second burnout and with a like 2k rpm drop they dont spin, but they have trouble hooking up, may be my suspension, may be that their used havent figure it out yet.

But if your worried about them hooking on the street they WILL hook good on the street, actually i have a little video, heres from a first gear roll with a little clutch drop.

http://media.putfile.com/launch57

I driven them around on the street for about a month at a time and they drive just like any other street tire, life is ALOT less though so that would be the down side, though you said its a weekend car. I dont have expierence but ive heard the MT DR's hook just as good as the et streets, so id just look for the best price, etc, dr's also come in bigger sizes. Im going with E.T. Drags when i replace the tires on my draglites :)

really, i had e.t. streets for my 93, and i was making 4500rpm drops without as much as a bark...then again, it might be because you have gears, and i just have my 3:08's

onefstsnake said:
View attachment 459117

FTW! And these fit on stock pony's!

Hook Great on the street and on the track.

Those are sweet....man if they held up longer than advertised i might consider them, but i love the burnouts too much to run a high priced tire like that. Maybe only at the track but i don't spend enough time at the track to dedicate my wheels to race tires. Plus...not to down anyone who runs slicks/cheater slicks, i respect what my car is worth on street tires more than i do on slicks or drag radials...just makes me more proud of what i've done with my car.

i ran around with BFG drag radials on the street for 2 months, couldnt tell a difference b/w them and the street tires. didnt hook any better. on the track they hooked like a bastard but on the street, i couldnt tell anything.

I say just run a street tire and have some nice racing tires on some spare rims for the track. sure a DR might be legal. But any sort of burnout or tirespin on the street EATS a DR up bad.

i've had Nitto's and M/T's drag radials and the Mickeys hook way better but i think everyone knows that...

but overall the Nitto's are the way to go, i dont even have 1000 miles on my M/T's and half the tread is already gone, and ive only dont like 2 burnouts where i used the roll control. My nittos hooked decent when they were new and i got 2 summers out of them, like 6 runs at the track and some big burnouts.

i also want et streets but they are super expensive and they need tubes which i think are like 60 bucks a piece

For a DD, the nittos are likely the best, mileage can be as high as 15,000. They are decent in the rain.

For a weekend car or one that sees a couple hundred miles a month, BFG's are probably the best

For a car that sees little use, the MT drag radials are where it's at.

For illegal street racing, and almost no street driving, the hoosiers work awesome. Unfortunately, if you read their website, they are DOT approved, but they tell you not to drive on the street with them, pressure loss, flats and rain will get you killed, basically.