Drag Redials

4.6MustangGT

Aug 3, 2003
I bought pair off Nitto Drag Redial tires 275/40/17 and I would like to use them for the track to see my timing, but I don’t have experience of how to launch my car with them? A lot of peoples said that you may break a lot of things if you launch your car hard. I need your comments. Thanks :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

well, first your going to want to do a big burnout. then it really depends on the car i would go for 4k and slip the clutch out. your track may be slicker than the local roads like it is around here. you might want to make a few runs to see what works best. on the street i always found that i could leave at 4k with a quick slip and not spin much, maybe a few feet. at the track however i couldnt launch above 2500rpm. it mostly depends on your track conditions and how well you can slip a clutch.

98laseredgt said:
well, first your going to want to do a big burnout. then it really depends on the car i would go for 4k and slip the clutch out. your track may be slicker than the local roads like it is around here. you might want to make a few runs to see what works best. on the street i always found that i could leave at 4k with a quick slip and not spin much, maybe a few feet. at the track however i couldnt launch above 2500rpm. it mostly depends on your track conditions and how well you can slip a clutch.
Thanks bro for your quick reply :nice:, any chance of breaking things when you slipping the clutch in this range of RPM 2500-4000?

We have a lot of the same mods and I also have these tires.. what I always have to do is I do a big burnout first, I do it buy dumping the clutch and then holding the break while giving it gas, the back tires spin pretty easy this way. Then once I get up to the line I launch at 3000 rpms, it bogs kinda bad and then it eventually goes, I usually get 1.9 60fts this way. If I launch at 3500-4000 the back tires spin too much and the car tries to get sideways, I get even worse times and worse 60 fts this way. You shouldn't break anything launching at 4000, but then again it all does depend on your track and how well you hook. It took me awhile to figure out how to launch the car.. my problem was I didn't realize that less is sometimes more :)

4.6MustangGT said:
I bought pair off Nitto Drag Redial tires 275/40/17 and I would like to use them for the track to see my timing, but I don’t have experience of how to launch my car with them? A lot of peoples said that you may break a lot of things if you launch your car hard. I need your comments. Thanks :cheers:

I have nitto 315 Drags and they work pretty good. Everything depends on the track conditions. If they prep the track and it's hot outside you can dump at 4000 and they will hook. If it's cold and crappy track prep you cant launch above 2500, even that's too much if the track is cold. The best thing to do is to line up after a lot of cars. That way they are heating up the track with their burnouts and launches. It really makes a difference. The best 60ft i've ever cut with nittos was a 1.89 and that was on a real hot sticky day. Also, do your burnout in second gear. I usually hot brake. I put the heal of my right foot on the brakes and the toes on my right foot on the gas, rev it up to about 3500-4000 and dump the clutch. Keep your foot into it for about 5-8 seconds and then lift your heel off the brake and she'll fly forward and grab if your tires are hot enough. Hope this helps a little.

I can launch easy at 4 grand with very little spin on the road. last time I went to the track I went to lacr which is probably one of the slickest tracks in the west, I couldn't even hook at idle. nor 2nd gear and some slippage in 3rd. the best way i found to go at it at a very slick track is to launch at 3-4 grand and just let the tires spin. make sure to air down to 15-17psi before you run, this helps a lot with traction.

back to breaking things, I had the nitto DRs on mine and ran every weekend for a while. I think in order to break anything you would need alot more power (like forced induction) and at least a 4.10 gear. There are Tons of people out there beating on thier car every day with similar mods to yours, and it is fairly rare to see anyone snap an axle.

98laser and Csledd hit it (as well as the rest of you it looks like lol). BUT JUST BE SURE TO DO A NICE HOT BURNOUT OR THEY WILL NOT HOOK VERY GOOD! DRs are useless unless they are hot. I have ran my 275/15 nitto Drs before and really, just mix it up on the launches to figure out the best. On the first few passes, switch lanes to find the better hooking side (thats VERY important) and come out between 3k and 4K like said on the better side and check your slip to see what RPM hooks the best. you should be able to tell, the goal is to find that rpm right in between where the car spins and where it hooks and that will usually result in the best 60s. Start at 3K and work up...if it spins at 3K, ride the clutch out more, anywhere below that and your usually just hurting yourself....if it bogs at 3K, up launch rpm to 3500 and adjust up or down 200RPM at a time depending on how it launches. Just have fun and STAY CALM AND HAVE A GOOD TIME....NEVER GET MAD IF YOUR TIMES SUCK, YOU WILL GET BETTER

Look at this....simply a result of mixing it up and basically doing the above.

I went from 13.7 @ 101.8 to a 13.4 @ 103.05 JUST by changing launch RPM and shift points on the same night, same conditions and hot lapping it...after a 45min cool down I got the listed ET.