Drag Techniques

• Sponsors (?)

GTn00b said:
I'm going to the track tonight, I need some tips ASAP. 01 GT Auto stock

make sure to get in more than one run.... and play with launching from idle.... and then say 2000rpm.... just dont light the tires up.

oh and dont do a burnout its useless with the stock tires and also dont roll through the water box. go around.

NightLife said:
make sure to get in more than one run.... and play with launching from idle.... and then say 2000rpm.... just dont light the tires up.

oh and dont do a burnout its useless with the stock tires and also dont roll through the water box. go around.

I agree, dont burn out and def. go around water. I would light the tires up just a little to clean em off, but dont sit there and roast the tires. just punch it a little to get the tires spinning, line up, have fun.

in my experience leave the car in Drive, turn OD off.

go around the water, and do a light burn out. Pull up to the line, launch off idle with about 3/4 throttle at the last yellow then WOT as soon as you are not spinning.

oh and don't forget to turn Traction Control off.

OD off?

UA2k1GT said:
in my experience leave the car in Drive, turn OD off.

go around the water, and do a light burn out. Pull up to the line, launch off idle with about 3/4 throttle at the last yellow then WOT as soon as you are not spinning.

oh and don't forget to turn Traction Control off.

Do you run without OD the entire time or do you switch it back on?

I just came back from my first time at the track last weekend, take my experiences with a grain of salt but... with my 04 std GT

1st pass - 15.82@92 : did a long burnout (skipped the water every time) launched at 1500 rpm with no wheel spin but the motor was bogged. I did 3 more runs tweaking launch rpm and stopped with the burnouts (didnt make any diff I could tell), with a .552 reaction time I managed a 14.89@94. I asked around in the pits for tips and basically the only thing I could do was let air out of the tires or borrow slicks to get better times. I let the tire pressure down to 20psi, launched between 2500 - 3000rpm and I managed a best of 14.22@96. Not a bad way to break in a motor with 157 mi on it eh? :D