Draglite/Tire sizes please!

ImportEater98

Mar 17, 2003
Worcester, MA
Well i did a search for the information i am looking for, and well, everyone has something different to say. I would hate to order wheels and tires, mount them, have them not fit, and not be able to return them so would someone with the following setup please let me know if it works:

I have a 1989 LX Coupe. Quad shocks removed, tubular upper and lower control arms and an airbag on the pass. side. I am running a 4.30 rearend (8.8) on 26" tires at the moment. I know for sure its too much gear for that size tire. I want to run 28" Quick Time Pro's or ET Streets. I am upgrading my rims as well. I am going to order draglites, but i am in a dilemma between 15X10's or 15X8's in the back, as well as the backspacing necessary to have it be flush with the wheel well or close. If its a question of exhaust rubbing, i will run dumps no problem. I notice there is not real options for a 28" with 8" wheels, but tons for a 10" wheel. In short i want to fit the biggest 28" tire in the back without rubbing. I hear on 15X10's you have to bang in the inner wells. I don't mind doing that, but i want to be sure that it can be done.
Could anyone with this setup in the back confirm this?
PLEASE POST PICS OF YOUR SETUP IF POSSIBLE.
Thanks a Million!
-John

• Sponsors (?)

i just went through the same exact dilemma as you and after much research I went with the 15X10 draglites with 6.5" BS. I too am going to run a 28" tire .. most likely either MT or BFG drags 325/50/15. I just ordered them a few weeks ago and got them.. I have not got the tires yet so I have not fitted the wheel on with the tire, but I did put the rim on and it looks like it lines up perfectly even with the wheel fender, also it looks like my exhaust MAY clear.. but I know once I get the tires on there that it might hit, so I too might run dumps if it comes to that. I would say just go with the 10" rims and make it work, from what I seen just by putting the rim on it looks like it should fit pretty good.. it is a little close the the inner fender though by the rear springs but I think it will be ok. I am getting tires either this week or next and will be mounting them so if your not in a rush I could let you know how they fit and what exactly I had to do to fit them in. From the research I've done though I think the only thing you really gotta do is roll the fender lips, bang a little inner fenders if needed, remove quad, and possibly move exhaust over or cut to dumps.. so it sounds like you've researched as well. I was real paranoid and confused too before I ordered them and felt like I was taking a big chance or something because they might not fit, but after getting them and putting the rim on, I am happy with the decision I made. So go for it...

heres some pics too.. i didnt take any of them on the car though.. guess I shouldve.. but I know someone else on these forums has a pic of this rim on their fox.. do a search for 15X10 and you will get a lot of good results.
DSC00758_sm.jpg

DSC00759_sm.jpg

I am in no hurry to order my rims/tires. Please post pics/info on your install as soon as its complete. I'm so glad someone is in the same boat as me. You know how it goes on stangnet, some guys just "talk to hear themselves talk", as opposed to knowing exactly what they are talking about. Thanks again for the prompt response, and please keep me posted on your progress. Sweet car, by the way :)

ImportEater98 said:
I am in no hurry to order my rims/tires. Please post pics/info on your install as soon as its complete. I'm so glad someone is in the same boat as me. You know how it goes on stangnet, some guys just "talk to hear themselves talk", as opposed to knowing exactly what they are talking about. Thanks again for the prompt response, and please keep me posted on your progress. Sweet car, by the way :)

I know what you mean.. :D i'm the same way.. I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures and let you know what I had to do to get it on there. I might end up renting out that roller tool from tirerack because I'm probably ordering my tires from them anyways. oh and thanks for the compliment.. :flag:

I bought these and am gonna put 275/50/R15's on them. The wheels are 15x10" draglites w/ 6.5" backspacing w/ 275/60/R15 Goodyear Wingfoot tires. I don't like how tall they are. I haven't put them on the car yet to see how it looks or to take pictures because I haven't been able to flip my quad shocks yet. I'll probably sell the tires, but here are some pics just so people know how this looks (the camera angles are bad, and don't depict the actual measurements, so I put those on there as you can see):

438445.jpg

438444.jpg

TheUser said:
I bought these and am gonna put 275/50/R15's on them. The wheels are 15x10" draglites w/ 6.5" backspacing w/ 275/60/R15 Goodyear Wingfoot tires. I don't like how tall they are. I haven't put them on the car yet to see how it looks or to take pictures because I haven't been able to flip my quad shocks yet. I'll probably sell the tires, but here are some pics just so people know how this looks (the camera angles are bad, and don't depict the actual measurements, so I put those on there as you can see):

438445.jpg

438444.jpg

Thanks for the pictures James. After listening to all of you, i think i am going with the 15x10's with Hoosier Quick-Time Pro's 28x12.5x15 's .....sound good?