drained battery??

lra2169

Sep 18, 2005
i own a 06 mustang gt and have had it since nov 11 the car is bone stock and have put only 190 miles on the car the problem is the car sits for 7 to 10 days at a time when i do take the car out i run it for at least 20 minutes no acc are were left on any ideas would be helpful i just jump started ther car for a second time today and turned everything off including the radio the shaker 500 thanks for any info i hope its the radio if not any ideas

• Sponsors (?)

lra2169 said:
i own a 06 mustang gt and have had it since nov 11 the car is bone stock and have put only 190 miles on the car the problem is the car sits for 7 to 10 days at a time when i do take the car out i run it for at least 20 minutes no acc are were left on any ideas would be helpful i just jump started ther car for a second time today and turned everything off including the radio the shaker 500 thanks for any info i hope its the radio if not any ideas
either your leaving your lights on or your battery is shot..Bring it back to the dealer and get a new one "For Free"!!!!

There have been reports on other forums of an active voltage drain in the new style Mustangs. I've read that it might be caused by the Shaker stereo amp's and I've also read that it might be caused by the active anti-theft system. I've also read reports that the new Mustangs have batteries of questionable quality.

Which of this is the cause is presently unknown. If your car typically doesn't get started for a week at a time maybe you might consider investing in a small trickle charger to maintain the battery while its sitting...

lra2169 said:

ack!!!:jaw:
Sentences are a good thing.. Mmmmkay:D

martimus said:
There have been reports on other forums of an active voltage drain in the new style Mustangs. I've read that it might be caused by the Shaker stereo amp's and I've also read that it might be caused by the active anti-theft system. I've also read reports that the new Mustangs have batteries of questionable quality.

Which of this is the cause is presently unknown. If your car typically doesn't get started for a week at a time maybe you might consider investing in a small trickle charger to maintain the battery while its sitting...
no!!,,,7-10 days of not driving should "not" be a problem for any car!! Maybe back in the 40's a trickle charger would be a good idea,but come on!!!

It ain't rocket science dude! If Ford doesn't know the cause of the problem its highly unlikely they're gonna fix it till they figure it out. Till then you either get the trickle charger or program Ford roadside assistance into your speed dial... :bang:

well for some reason when i leave the radio on then turn the key off and lock the doors with no acc on the battery drains if i turn the radio off then the key off with no acc on the battery is fine taking it back to ford as far as a battery charger because it sits for 7 to 10 days wow 30K and you have to start it twice a week COME ON 30K what a joke something wrong will let you know what ford finds out thanks for the replys everybody

Thanks IRA,

Please do let us know what they say so we can share it with others.

Willys. grrrrrrrrrrr..... voltage drains are not uncommon in today's vehicles. There are more electronics in cars than in the 40s. It is sad to consider having to purchase a trickle charger. But until a proper diagnosis is made and the problem is resolved the problem will continue.

I had a 93 Explorer that had a voltage drain that was never resolved by Ford. I dumped that one and got a 96Explorer. It happens. It is not a good feeling when you lay 30K on a car to have a problem like this.

Be polite and respectful when you respond in these forums, Willys, or you will be shown the door. Thank You.

Jenn

lra2169 said:
well for some reason when i leave the radio on then turn the key off and lock the doors with no acc on the battery drains if i turn the radio off then the key off with no acc on the battery is fine taking it back to ford as far as a battery charger because it sits for 7 to 10 days wow 30K and you have to start it twice a week COME ON 30K what a joke something wrong will let you know what ford finds out thanks for the replys everybody

Interesting! I think your discovery tends to support the theory that an amp or other component of the radio is contributing to the problem. If you physically turn off the radio I would think that this signals the amp(s) to also shut down.

One other thought (and this is a stretch!) may be that there is another system connected to the CAN-bus that is causing the problem. When the radio shuts down it likely sends a notification on the CAN-bus to the ECU. Maybe shutting off the radio shuts off some other ancillary system(s)? Hmm...

of couse jenn i will share this forum helps me and if i can help others ;) that makes me feel good inside i just hope ford helps me with this problem will let you know what they said good or bad !!

well went to ford with no help from the experts they even called the hotline and nothing. they told me to start the car in a couple of days and then bring it back to them next week to check the battery and if its dead again to have it towed to them not to jump start the car and drive it to them. you know i love the car the looks it has the interior everything but to have this problem not resolved (i can see me getting rid of it) fingers crossed

I just test drove a 06 GT today and when we went out to the car it had a dead battery. I thought it was wierd since the car hadn't been there but a week at the most. The salesman made the excuse that someone must have left something on.

follow up

I've spent some time searching the internet for similar problems and am very disappointed to report that the dead battery problem seems to be widespread. I sent an email to Ford asking them for some feedback on the problem so hopefully they will respond. Until then I'm putting off my purchase.

second follow up

I found a post on another forum claiming that it was found to be a problem with the amp/amps for the sound system not turning off when the car or radio is turned off.

shaker 500

I can really relate to what you've been through Ira.. in fact just this past summer, I went through 2 batteries in less than 3 months, each from sitting no longer than 10 days, I then had the vehicle towed to my original dealer, not just once, but twice and all i got was the same excuse, they couldn't determine nor figure out why or what could be causing a drainage problem, claiming that the results from the diagnostic testing of the electrical system, were normal, so after they replaced both batteries, I decided to try a different dealer and get a second opinion... and here is what they discovered.. after doing a voltage test on every single fuse, there was a 1.4 miliamp draw on the radio and amp fuse, and also after the vehicle had been shut down after 40 min. the shaker 500 became activated and attempted to scan for CD's and both the technician and myself made certain that everything was turned off, during the 40 min. that the car was shut down. so what they did next was pull the shaker 500 out, recheck the same fuses a second time, and yet even with the shaker 500 pulled out, after another 40 min. the radio fuse was still drawing 1.4 miliamps again, so after not being able to figure out what else could be connected to that fuse...the service manager finally got a hold of a Ford engineer, and was told that the amp has to also be disconnected, otherwise there will still be current going through the radio fuse, even if its shut off, and although this did not make any sense.. it seemed that he was right, there was no current drawn after disconnecting the amp... It was then determined that it was the shaker 500 that was the cause, so they went ahead and installed a replacement shaker 500 C and needless to say, after nearly 5 months later...my car has sat for sometimes 3 weeks and haven't had any furthur battery issues...so I hope that anything I've mentioned, may be helpful and useful to you, and if you happen to have any questions, just let me know, and I'll do my best to answer them... RP :flag:

Add me to the list. My car sits 2 weeks and it's dead. Also I found it strange the radio sometimes stays on after the engine is off and the key is removed.

never related it to the door being open. Regardless I think it is related to the Shaker 500. I charged the battery and it's ok for now so if it goes dead again the dealer can have it to fix.

papu said:
never related it to the door being open. Regardless I think it is related to the Shaker 500. I charged the battery and it's ok for now so if it goes dead again the dealer can have it to fix.
What I meant was past the requisite time that it is designed to stay on after the ignition is shut off. You do know it is designed to stay on for 10 minutes???