draining fuel tank

• Sponsors (?)

Allen, priming would clear the lines themselves. If the system is opened, it should backfeed anyhow.

For draining, one could also run the pump with the fuel filter disconnected. The connection at the filter is where I'd connect a hose and catch can. Be VERY careful of all applicable hazzards (fire, skin, solvent and otherwise).

If you think you have a little water in the tank, some drying agent would probably take care of it. We did that often in the land of snow.

Good luck.

well I have started the car and it did seem to clear and I was able to drive it around but after it idled for a bit it started running like crap again and died. I wonder if I should just fill the tank to help dilute what ever is in the tank and see how things go from there. Maybe I can run the tank down before filling it. Any opinions?

Safest/easiest way I found was just to go buy a $10 fuel safe transfer pump (most all local parts stores carry them) and just pump it out that way. My arms were tired but I didn't make a lake of fuel and nothing burned down :D

well I have started the car and it did seem to clear and I was able to drive it around but after it idled for a bit it started running like crap again and died. I wonder if I should just fill the tank to help dilute what ever is in the tank and see how things go from there. Maybe I can run the tank down before filling it. Any opinions?

There could be 20 things causing as issue like this.

Check fuel pressure as it starts to idle crappy. You might have a pump going bad and this is all coincidence.

It could even be something like a bad TFI or coil. Coincidences make us rule out things we otherwise would not.

Pulling codes is the place to start.
Good luck.

Allen, priming would clear the lines themselves. If the system is opened, it should backfeed anyhow.

For draining, one could also run the pump with the fuel filter disconnected. The connection at the filter is where I'd connect a hose and catch can. Be VERY careful of all applicable hazzards (fire, skin, solvent and otherwise).

If you think you have a little water in the tank, some drying agent would probably take care of it. We did that often in the land of snow.

Good luck.

I wish I thought of this before I changed out my fuel pump dammit. I lowered my tank with my floor jack and still got gas all over my balls lol

After letting it set with some 91% alcohol I was able to get it running, I took it for a 10 mile high speed run and then filled the tank with gas from a reliable station. Running much better. I will check after it cools off to see its start up status.

Allen

My brother bought a hose from napa sometime back. it was like 5 bucks and had a glass check ball in the end. he said all you do is jerk the hose off a few times and it pours gas or fluid out in no time. we emptied a 20 gal tank in about 15 minutes.

Go to the local parts store get an in-line electric pump, connect hoses to it long enough to get to the bottom of the tank and into some kind of container for discharge. Run a couple of feet of wire from the battery to the pump. Sit back and wait till the tank is empty.