Drilling 1250s For Egr

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I'm about to drill a 3/8" hole in the 1250s gasket to keep my EGR functional. That is of course, if someone can give me a good reason why I should not.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I drilled it and put it all together so we'll see. Now to put on Tstat housing, dist and valve covers. I'm running out of beer....

Reactions: 2 users
Got you covered.
image.jpg

I can drink alot of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale without much of a hangover. Love Loose Cannon too but that stuff hurts me the next day.

Reactions: 1 user
Got more beer. Wife even bought me a mini fridge in my garage for my bday. Raining here again so nothing to do but hang in the garage and continue putting this thing back together. Front accessories are on. Now doing belts, hoses, then upper intake. Love to show some pics but honestly, I like to stare too long at stuff and think about it...... Lots of stuff going on in life and this is just a temporary escape from it all. Jammin on some Black Keys radio, sipping a few and gettin dirty. I suppose the last thing I'll do is crawl underneath and hook the pipes to the headers. Don't know why but I hate doing that.

Alive and seems well. Fired right up and smoothed itself out in a few minutes. Just gotta put the hood back on and wait for the streets to dry up. Probably raining all day tomorrow. :(

IMG_2232.jpg

Alive and seems well. Fired right up and smoothed itself out in a few minutes. Just gotta put the hood back on and wait for the streets to dry up. Probably raining all day tomorrow. :(

IMG_2232.jpg
Glad to see you around and still on here man . Wondered where you went hadn't seen you post Ina while

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Glad to see you around and still on here man . Wondered where you went hadn't seen you post Ina while

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Thanks man. Just been very busy. Full time job and a private business to run. And family comes first too so after all is said and done, your outta time to play.

I just put the hood back on. I have a radiator leak, nothing big. One of those kind that maybe the gunk will seal it up. The head lifting caused damage to the radiator I think. Blew the seal where one of the tubes is connected to the tank.

Gonna warm it up, check the timing and go for a ride since the sun is actually out. Gonna rain later.

Test driving went well. Outside temp is 80 degrees and it hits 8psi at 6k rpm. A/F ratio 11.3 WOT. So far, just the minor pre existing radiator leak. No other leaks evident.

Thanks man. Just been very busy. Full time job and a private business to run. And family comes first too so after all is said and done, your outta time to play.

I just put the hood back on. I have a radiator leak, nothing big. One of those kind that maybe the gunk will seal it up. The head lifting caused damage to the radiator I think. Blew the seal where one of the tubes is connected to the tank.

Gonna warm it up, check the timing and go for a ride since the sun is actually out. Gonna rain later.

John, do yourself a favor and bring have the radiator leak welded,Although a tube won't do any harm, it's a temporary fix at best. Plus with a blower you are going to be putting a lot more strain on the cooling system. At best it is a bandaid. I would get the tube of powder vs. the liquid.

All you guys and your superchargers.....makes me feel left out. Seems everyone of you have a blower these days, gonna have to do something to keep up with you all, lol.

Joe

John, do yourself a favor and bring have the radiator leak welded,Although a tube won't do any harm, it's a temporary fix at best. Plus with a blower you are going to be putting a lot more strain on the cooling system. At best it is a bandaid. I would get the tube of powder vs. the liquid.

I'm thinking maybe the thing will seal itself. Very small leak and I'm running an un-pressurized coolant system. I got the lower radiator cap seal removed. Coolant freely moves in and out of the overflow tank but remains contained in the system. Huge radiator so it never over heats as long as the coolant level maintains.

I'm thinking maybe the thing will seal itself. Very small leak and I'm running an un-pressurized coolant system. I got the lower radiator cap seal removed. Coolant freely moves in and out of the overflow tank but remains contained in the system. Huge radiator so it never over heats as long as the coolant level maintains.
May i ask what the reason is? This actually makes the boiling point of your system much lower.

May i ask what the reason is? This actually makes the boiling point of your system much lower.

First of all its not going to boil with my rad and fan setup.

I prefer preventing pressure build up since it reduces hose and gasket leaks and failures. This car could probably handle the pressure fine but I've done this trick with alot of success on "beater" cars. And now that I have a minor radiator leak, this helps it from getting worse. It's just a trend I've been on for years and years. On any car I've ever done it, I've never had a catastrophic coolant loss that left me stranded somewhere.

BTY, how much lower of a boiling point does a 50/50 mix have under no pressure compared to what's considered normal pressure?

Found this. Looks like a 16 psi system raises it from about 212 to 252, for just water.

Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-01-06-53-55.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-01-06-53-55.png
    669.8 KB · Views: 128
First of all its not going to boil with my rad and fan setup.

I prefer preventing pressure build up since it reduces hose and gasket leaks and failures. This car could probably handle the pressure fine but I've done this trick with alot of success on "beater" cars. And now that I have a minor radiator leak, this helps it from getting worse. It's just a trend I've been on for years and years. On any car I've ever done it, I've never had a catastrophic coolant loss that left me stranded somewhere.

BTY, how much lower of a boiling point does a 50/50 mix have under no pressure compared to what's considered normal pressure?
I wasn't attacking you if that's what you thought . It was legitimate question . I asked because no matter what rad and fan setup on a hot summer day you may see 200 deg in traffic. So only being 12 deg from a boil over point at 14.7 psi or so if your at sea level is just something id want to avoid .

The coolant is gonna want to turn to steam much faster . I thought there was some other reason behind it as I'm always interested in learning and extra ways to keep my car cool . I work on diesel stuff for a living so I thought maybe there was something I hadn't thought of or was missing .