Driving for fun.....Im I the only one?

mustangford289

Founding Member
Sep 16, 2001
Florida
I take my Stang for a ride every day after work with no where to go just so I can enjoy it.
I turn off the radio, roll down the window a bit, listen to the exhaust, the road.....
Now my wife is saying to me, where do you go every nite? I told her, now she thinks I strange!:rolleyes:
Does anyone else do anything similar or am I alone here?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

today i was cruising around with really no goal for anywhere to go. did a car payment today with my paycheck, so i figured i'd get my moneys worth.

tomorrow doing an oil change on her, cleaning her up, and going cruising again.

its relaxing to go cruising.

i like to roll down the windows and for the first 2 sometimes 3 gears i mash the gas for a few seconds just cruising and kick the ass end out a little bit. and now basically every turn that i'm in like first or second i'll mash the gas a little just to whip it a little bit.

one of my co workers were bustin my balls that i drive my car like a girl that he would be sideways every corner. i got to thinking, yeah. i haven't really had that kinda fun in this car yet. so since then i've been doing it hah.

I do that too. The car begs to be driven, and it is addiciting. I have even worked out the cost of the gas, and sometimes rather than lunch, I'll just drive around and burn about $5 of gas. Not the best for the environment I suppose, but much more enjoyable use of my money generally.

You know, you can weigh the pros and cons of various different car models all day long, but the mustang is the only car that I have owned that is such a pleasure, it actually becomes the highlight of my day even just to go pick up some milk.

The other day, I was supposed to pick up my wife from a thing, and there was some confusion on the pick-up plan, which resulted in me having to make the trip there and back twice more than required. I thought, I could get mad about this, but honestly, I drive my stang around for no reason all the time, so who cares. She was very apologetic and I got to look like the gracious husband.

I am itching to go on a road trip --drive all around the country in the mustang. That would be a good way to kill some time.

My wife goes with me! We use our Mustang almost exclusively for pleasure cruising, cars shows and taking 'optional' trips. She likes that everyone stops and looks, points and hollers, and a all the cell phone pictures taken of us at stoplights. I'm with GreyDiesel on skipping lunch and going for a drive - I totally get it. I drive 'Muffin' (yeah, there's a story to that name) to work (100 mile round trip) once a week or so when the weather is perfect. Honestly that was the whole point of this car for us. It just doesn't get any better. I've been asked dozens of times what kind if gas mileage it gets with the blower and 500+hp. Answer is always the same - who cares, just look at it, listen to it, it's just awesome. I couldn't care less how much gas it uses. I drive my 30mpg 4-banger Escape all winter and 3-4 days a week in the summer so I can enjoy the Mustang. We waited 25+ years to own a car like this and it was worth the wait. Best therapy money can buy...

lol I do it all the time ! I think of reasons just to get out and drive....im at peace with myself when its just me, the road, and the sound of the V8 under me ! Nothign like it in the world !

Ahhh ok I see its not just me...

Diesel....I drove 4 hours south the other day just to see my uncle....Really, I was just itching for a road trip, lol. I know how you feel.

Autumn_Again, I do the same thing.....

Roush, therapy? You are correct but I fear that Im addicted to my therapy, lol...I have owned the car for about 5 weeks I think and I have 4000 miles on it:eek: Im afraid that if my addiction doesn't subside I may have 50K a year on my car.

Diesel we should hook up for a road trip.....Come down to FL some winter....or Ill drive up that way some summer....

I ve been on stang road trips and cruises before with past mustangs but its rare to find anyone who drives a stang just for the sake of driving it..... most of them seem to want to stop and see things.....pee and eat, I have no time for that!:rlaugh:

I guess it is about the sound and thepeaceful relaxing nature of it....Its like a drug.

I think I'll start Mustangs Anonymous, MA for short.....But remember the first step is admitting you have an addiction! Then we can all figure out how we can support our addictions without going broke, getting divorced, or missing out on too much other stuff that gets in the way of driving our Stangs!:flag:

I will head out and see where the road takes me quite often when it's nice out here. I've been using my 'Stang as a daily driver for over two years (through the terrible winters up here even) yet it still brings a big smile to my face when I get to roll the windows down and listen to the burble of the exhaust and the roar of the V8 as I go up and down through the gears on a back road.

Sometimes I'll head into the city and drive between skyscrapers and listen to the exhaust being echoed and amplified by the buildings on either side. I get people turning to look quite a ways up and down the road :D

Only problem with going for joyrides in the Mustang is you can't look at how cool the exterior looks at the same time :(

I used to cruise when i lived in omaha. here, the roads suck so bad and the town is so small that cruising is no fun. :( only time it is fun is if my brother in law takes out his 06 GT vert with me and we hit some of the highways with good scenery.

I love driving my Stang! I've driven it on road trips to PA, TN several times. I travel back and forth to MD several times a week to see my g/f so the miles get racked up rather quickly(nearing 65K)! I drive around with no place in particular to go quite often. Last spring, I got in the car and drove down to South of the Border by myself one afternoon. Got something to eat there and headed right back home. That was about a 7 hour trip:nice: My avatar pic was from that trip.

I used to go driving for the heck of it all the time when I had my coupe then my sonoma and s10....with my 95 i did alittle cruising for fun but i don't do much wiht htis car :( I drive about 100 miles a day to and from work so I just take the long way home each day :)

I drive the heck outta mine! I have 53k miles and haven't even had it for 3 years! I mean I enjoy it waaaaay too much!

There is nothing wrong with enjoying one of the simpler pleasures in life.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find the time to go cruising with a group of fellow Stangers since I moved from Charleston. That's what makes it real fun!

no problem

Sadly, I haven't been able to find the time to go cruising with a group of fellow Stangers since I moved from Charleston. That's what makes it real fun![/QUOTE]

Well thats no problem....where are you in Fl? There is all kinds of stuff going on....

Man it's been raining non stop for the last 3 days and the car is even more enjoyable then ever. Something about the V8 rumble, the torque, and balancing a slight rain induced oversteer turn is pure therapy.

I will take a drive down to point pleasent about 2 or three times a week get out smoke a ciggerette get back in and drive back about 80 miles round trip. Some good spots to light them up both ways.

I do it often , sometimes even taking the wrong way to get to destination just to check new roads or simply to drive some more ... 35k miles together and this car is fantastic as it was in the first weeks of ownership .
I simply cannot drive other cars and say I'm driving :rolleyes:

Sadly, I haven't been able to find the time to go cruising with a group of fellow Stangers since I moved from Charleston. That's what makes it real fun!

Well thats no problem....where are you in Fl? There is all kinds of stuff going on....[/QUOTE]

I'm in Pensacola.... my schedule hasn't been conducive to being as involved as I was in Charleston. Plus I'm younger than most of the Mustang crowd here. All my buddies own Vettes. Totally lame.