Drove a new GT today

I drove one yesterday and have <a href="http://www.bumsmell.com/innovation/ford01.html">pics</a> to prove it! :D
If you have any questions let me know... I'd be happy to share!

I can tell you that it handles way better than my Cobra, it really does have a great stance. It didn't have as much power, but it was very very smooth, too. The driving position was really nice, you feel like you're sunken into a cockpit, and the exhaust tone was to die for.

• Sponsors (?)

91StangLX said:
Ricks,
Where in Detroit do you work. The mustang is not even being built in Detroit. There are 5 assembly plants in the US that the new Mustang will be built in. None are in Detroit by the way.. The dealer ship I work for sells more Mustangs than any dealership in the conutry. We deliver 1200 new fords a month to customers. So I think my bosses do know something about the Mustang. This kid lives in Beverly Hills. So I doubt you will find a Ford executive working have away caross the country and living in Beverky Hills.

Well boys and girls, if you ever had any doubts, here is undeniable proof that he LAST place you ever want to go for information the 2005 Mustang (or any other FoMoCo product) is a Ford dealer. :rolleyes:

I work at a Ford Stealership on the service side as a Porter, and most of the salesman or manager don't have a clue about current or future vehicles. Hell, one guy said that the 03-04 Cobra had a Turbo on it. :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

caffinecobra said:
I drove one yesterday and have <a href="http://www.bumsmell.com/innovation/ford01.html">pics</a> to prove it! :D
If you have any questions let me know... I'd be happy to share!

I can tell you that it handles way better than my Cobra, it really does have a great stance. It didn't have as much power, but it was very very smooth, too. The driving position was really nice, you feel like you're sunken into a cockpit, and the exhaust tone was to die for.

I was at Irwindale as well -- great stuff. The only thing I would add is the shifter really impressed me as well as the very smooth ride and engine. Very smooth, longer throw than I thought it would be, but very light and in a much better position. Also, it felt less nose-heavy and a little more neutral than my '99 GT (might be because of the front wheels being pushed forward?). Of course, there still is big-time understeer under hard cornering (as several guys illustrated taking out the cones). Overall, a HUGE step forward in the overall driving feel. The only nits I would pick is it still rides really high, the suspension is too soft, leading to excessive body movement, and I think it is way too long (especially in the truck/rear overhang area). But, some well chosen aftermarket parts could really wake this car up.

Very well put! I started to lose it to understeer on one part of the track and my co-pilot claimed that it was because that part of the course was not racetrack but rather an RV parking lot! LOL. However, that would probably closer resemble the road then the racetrack would. They really needed a good straightaway on that track... I was disappointed in that. I went to the Mazda "Rev-it-up" event earlier this year in Irivine and it was far superior (the event and courses, not the cars of course!). They had a great timed course and even made you wear a helmet and harness. Spread around the rest of the event were training classes with professional drivers giving tips. It was put together *way* better than this Ford event; much more organized, more to do, more learning, more chances to drive. The only downside was that there were also way more people and it took forever to do anything. It was nice that Irwindale had so many less people. It's funny, too, that Ford runs Mazda's North American division as well :) Oh well, it was fun anyway, and I was so glad they brought the GT to drool over!!!

Ricks, I appreciate your very accurate retort, I haven't looked at the responses to this post in quite awhile, needless to say I'm a little suprised.

Now, to 91LX:

First of all, thanks for calling me a liar, I really appreciate it. Just because YOU haven't driven the new Mustang, doesn't mean others haven't. Sorry for trying to give an insight to those who are wondering what the car is like. Yes, Beverly Hills is a suburb of Detroit and countless Ford and other big three executives live in the area. Like Ricks said, valets do have a great relationship with these men and women who happen to be members at these country clubs and they are always bringing by test cars they have borrowed for the weekend and are always interested to hear our opinions. And to them, that is a valuable opinion since we drive everything. The Mustang is just one of many awesome cars we usually get to drive before anyone. I drove the new Corvette about 4 months ago, for instance, and NO, I didn't take a picture of it, cause like the Mustang, everyone knows what it looks like.

You said so yourself it would only be a demo car that I could drive and cried about them not being released to the public. Yeah, next time I'll spell it out for you more clearly that it was a Ford executive's test car, I guess you had a hard time figuring that out. No kidding they haven't been released to the public, did I say they were? Just because your delearship hasn't gotten one, you don't have to start in with the "Don't believe this guy!" posts. What do you think? Ford thinks up a car, builds it, and sells it the next day? There's a pretty lengthy testing period, I can't believe you need this explained to you. Drive around Detroit any day for the last 3 months and you see countless Mustangs running around, and if you went to the Woodward Cruise they were practically dime a dozen. Wake up, man. And why would I make it up anyways? I don't recall putting any breakthrough information in there, it was pretty much a collection of opinions and perspectives.

And just FYI 91LX, the gentleman who had the Mustang told me I'd be driving a Ford GT in the near future. If so, be sure I'll have a camera ready for that day so everyone doesn't have to waste their time reading your stupid posts.

Glad everyone ELSE enjoyed the review, thanks for the comments.

-Chris