Drum brake automatic adjusters

j69302

Jan 31, 2006
Is it possible to have these installed incorrectly that would make them tighten up when coming to a stop going forward instead of reverse?

If i remember right I dont even have the hardware in the for the automatic adjustments. I did manually tighten up the drums a while ago with no issues but this problem just started happening recently.

I have an issue with my brakes seem to not be dis engaging. And getting progressively worse at every stop. I have to just about dump the clutch at about 1500-2000 rpm to get it rolling, once it starts rolling it feels like they disengage and then the car takes off.

I have grenada disks on the front, stock drums in the rear. Going to be replacing with new calipers, rotors, pads, drums and hardware in the next week or two.

Could it be the master cylinder? the pedal seems to spring back normally.

• Sponsors (?)

If you don't have the self adjuster hardware installed, there is nothing to keep the star wheel from randomly turning. If they are installed backwards (in one of a couple ways) the brakes would "self adjust" when going forward. Pull a drum and get back to us.
Gene