DSS306 or 331!!!!

SN95FREAK

Jul 29, 2008
North Carolina
I'm going to purchase one of the two so who has some info. on them. The car is a 94 gt automatic daily driver.
The car has got to be smog legal because I'm from texas but currently stationed in camp lejeune n.c
so I'm kinda limited on some of the things that I can do and gas mileage Who gives a f*!#. I would love to have a power adder but that just wont fit in the budget so N/A it is.
combo I'm looking at:
DSS 331 or 306 w/ afr185's/cam??
gt 40 intake/70mmTB/75mm MAF
24lb injectors
tremec 500 5speed
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

While I haven't installed either, I remember someone here getting a 306 and being really unimpressed with it.. You're only getting 4c.i. over stock so you're not gonna feel much. I also vote for a 331. If you want a 347 CHP has one that doesn't burn oil AND is smog legal (if that's an issue for you).

CHP Shortblocks - search for 347-E for the smog legal kit.

For me it came down to what H/C/I I was going to run. I wanted to keep what I already had and it was ok for a stock stroke. Jumping up in cubes whould have meant a good bit left on the table. For my goals and what I already had I went with a 306.

What I meant was that really more cubes would in my eyes need better H/C/I to get the most out of it. Yes you can put 185's on a 306 and it will run well...put them on a 331/347 and it will probably run even better yet. If you have say smaller valve edlb. heads or gt40's (iron or older alum.) they will be better matched to a 302 than a 331-347. They will work on a larger motor but IMHO it would be a "weaker" stroker motor. Good numbers can be had...look at killers new setup but his has always been a fairly good runner and I dont see his numbers being the avg. plus even he is moving to larger heads to get the most out of his combo.

That and my goals would be do-able with a 306. If your simply looking for 275-300 a 302 is fine. If your looking for around the 350 mark...stroke it.

It comes down to what the goals are.

I got the DSS 331 kit- strong motor. Only thing slowing me up right now is my stock Cobra intake. I went with the 331 because of the 306, like previously said, is just a freshen up. I've heard of issues with 347s due to oil leaks and pistons are thin at the top.

since they both are just about the same money I say even if you dont have the proper supporting mods now you always can expand.

I went so far with my build I regret not going with a 351 stroked to 427

I hear you on that...I have a bottle and even with the 302 I should be getting close to the blocks limits, even if I only ever hit 275rwhp off the bottle I have a 175 shot that math is getting close even if I only see 130-150rwhp with 175 jets...add a stroker (and my very strong feelings that a stroker should be done in a aftermarket block) and power adder I would be far to scared for the block.

Go for the cubes, if you can afford the new rotating assembly and new flywheel/balancer.

I personally went 306 because of a budget, reused a lot of parts and I did not have to buy a new flywheel/balancer.

Go for the cubes, if you can afford the new rotating assembly and new flywheel/balancer.

I personally went 306 because of a budget, reused a lot of parts and I did not have to buy a new flywheel/balancer.

Very good point and as usual .........

The application dictates the end result :D

Take my sig combo for example :)

If something happened to my OEM block :eek:

A B&Bed 306 would make a lot of sense ;)

My current stuff is too little for a 347 :bang:
so
A 306 would give me the most bang for the buck spent :nice:

You just gotta think this stuff from every angle :crazy:
and
Long term plans or goals will help you NOT to spend needless money :Word:

If I was gonna build a 5.0 blocked NA STREET COMBO
and
I had to do it from scratch with no current parts

An OEM blocked 347 pumping out 375 to 400 to the wheels would be
great for a week end toy as I see it :banana:

Well within the limits for the block ;)
and
You won't break the bank doing it :nono:
also
With a good tune ... drivability should be pretty good :D
even
Fairly good gas mileage for those short road trips :spot:

True ... it will lope a bit at idle ... but ... that can't be helped :)

Grady

While I haven't installed either, I remember someone here getting a 306 and being really unimpressed with it.. You're only getting 4c.i. over stock so you're not gonna feel much. I also vote for a 331. If you want a 347 CHP has one that doesn't burn oil AND is smog legal (if that's an issue for you).

That was prolly me, lol. I wanted more low end. Period. The 306 didn't do what I thought it would but it is all a learning process. The stang also FEELS heavy to me and felt heavy with the 306. But I am a streeter too.

if gas mileage is an issue, a 306 is probably more likely be a little better than a 331 would be ...

just one more think to keep in mind

if i were doing it though, i'd probably go low compression 311 so i could run 87 octane and have the option of boosting it later.