Bah! That don't look too bad. Don't beat yourself up. You live and learn. Any time you put that gas pedal on the floor, bad things can happen. You kept it at a safe time and place and nobody got hurt. You'll fix the car, and all will be well again. Also, if you have any spare wenches, I'll take one off your hands. Feeling a little lonely, lately :D

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I forgot about the front bumper cover! Has the lower been wasted then?

Happy birthday btw. 40 huh? Just an old man tinkering with his toys now......:nonono:

Thanks Dave !!!

The bumper lower isn't a total loss. I do have to buy a fog light and a fog light bezel, but that's all under 100 bucks.

The cover got scraped pretty bad and its a foot long crack at the bottom edge. I think I can fix it with 8115....I hope. If I can't save it.....it'll cost about 400 bucks and a lot of time to trim it to fit.

What's the coldest temperature that you've used 3m 8115 PBA ?

Thanks Dave !!!

The bumper lower isn't a total loss. I do have to buy a fog light and a fog light bezel, but that's all under 100 bucks.

The cover got scraped pretty bad and its a foot long crack at the bottom edge. I think I can fix it with 8115....I hope. If I can't save it.....it'll cost about 400 bucks and a lot of time to trim it to fit.

What's the coldest temperature that you've used 3m 8115 PBA ?
About 65*. I’ve never tried to push it outside the recommended limits. Even then it takes twelve hours to harden. Unless you have a paint booth with a bake cycle and can heat it up to about 160*, then it takes about an hour before you can work it. Don’t know if you have one of those though......

Reactions: 1 user
About 65*. I’ve never tried to push it outside the recommended limits. Even then it takes twelve hours to harden. Unless you have a paint booth with a bake cycle and can heat it up to about 160*, then it takes about an hour before you can work it. Don’t know if you have one of those though......

I have a shed and a torpedo heater.....:shrug:

Last edited:
This is what I do at work....stare at vehicles that come in here until I have to fix them.....
View: https://youtu.be/iQ4hgmjKsJ0

IMG_20171208_165459229.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I've always wondered if there is any advantage to that type of an induction system other than being a seemingly signature style of Italian supercars.

There is a benefit.... It helps keep down air turbulence at higher rpms.

These cars are awesome to drive.

Not as awesome as a built mustang though. They're nice for what they are. Anything you do to a Lamborghini will cost 10k at least.

What are you fixing? Or is it one of those $5K oil changes you read about?

I cannot disclose my clients use of anything other than an approved Lamborghini service spa....even if it was installing machine guns and " drive by drone " technology.....or not.

I'll never tell....:nono:

Reactions: 1 users
All I can say is....this dag on epoxy is hard to remove. The seam sealer came off easy enough...but the 3m 4747 has become part of the front bumper.

I used this thingy....

IMG_20171217_154747210.jpg

IMG_20171217_154805709.jpg
IMG_20171217_164901783.jpg

Getting prepared for Terminator Cobra bumper 2.0.

I've got to find a fender stand to sit the bumper on for repairs. I'm going to attempt to fix the one I have verses buying a new one. Picks of the bumper will come when I start messing with it. Right now it depresses me too much to take a photo of it.

Good thing is, I found out that 4747 urethane epoxy is great for our stock urethane bumpers...not so much for polypropylene. ( I think that's what the new bumper is ). It also hardens up too fast for what I'm trying to do. It didn't give me enough time to set the bumpers together the way I wanted.

This time I'll be trying 3m 8115.

Here's the aftermath of my big foot...

IMG_20171221_193420404.jpg

That little hit knocked d the lower clean off and did this...

IMG_20171221_193404810_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171221_193441209.jpg

I think its fixable with PBA...what do you think @ davedacarpainter. At least my dog didn't eat it.

I'm getting the holidays out of the way....then the bumper will enter 2.0 mode.

Yeah Scott, you can fix that.

Just remember the PBA is a LOT slower, so you'll need some sort of form. Even something simple like masking tape for the gouged out part.

I screwed my two half bumpers together dry, to create the screw holes ahead of time. Then put the PBA between them, then rescrewed them together. Let it sit for 24 hours, and went back and filled the holes, then did the finish work. Used saw horses to lay it on while it set up.

I screwed my two half bumpers together dry, to create the screw holes ahead of time. Then put the PBA between them, then rescrewed them together. Let it sit for 24 hours, and went back and filled the holes, then did the finish work. Used saw horses to lay it on while it set up.

I like that idea. I used borrowed c clamps from Lowes. They did well but the 4747 has about a 30 second work time....after that its setting up.

The time kept me from getting good coverage between the two. I'm going to do something closer to your route.

I never did make the transition at the front of the fender opening. Good thing I let it sit unfinished for a year or I would've been P'd off. :fuss:

Do you guys think I could make side skirt panels out of PBA ?

I have the skill to make them out of fiberglass but the process is super long and fiberglass doesn't make the most durable product. I could use cardboard and make a template for ABS board. Seems like it would be hard to get the details I want out of ABS.

I'll try and figure all this out....:thinking:

The PBA takes a long time to set up. Its basically liquid for the first hour, and sets up slowly from there, at least in my experience. You could lay it out flat and let it cure, but would have to mix up quite the batch. And I dont know that you would ever get the cardboard all the way peeled off the back, but thats why its the back...

The PBA takes a long time to set up. Its basically liquid for the first hour, and sets up slowly from there, at least in my experience. You could lay it out flat and let it cure, but would have to mix up quite the batch. And I dont know that you would ever get the cardboard all the way peeled off the back, but thats why its the back...

I would make a mold, use a release agent, and coat the inside of the mold with PBA.

I've been researching online trying to find a decent urethane or plastic mix that I could spray or spread in a mold. Most stuff is geared towards injected molds...or vacuum forming. I just want something I could spread in a mold other than fiberglass or expensive carbon fiber.

The card board was to make patterns for flat ABS. The ABS would be glued at corners with PBA. I'm sure it could work....but I wanted a little more detail in the side skirts. I want to recreate the wheel arch aesthetic that's in the rear Saleen bumper into the front of the rear wheel arch, rear of the front, and onto the terminator bumper at the front wheel opening. Its slight... But I likes it.

I can use modeling clay to make the skirts and use plaster or fiberglass to make the molds.

I was a visual arts major....before I was an engineering major...before I became a master mechanic. Smh. Dang college I'm still payin' for 20 years later...:mad:

Merry Christmas Everyone !!!!

I got out in the shed and got some work done with my Dremel. The seam sealer I used was about a quarter inch all the way around the top. I did this to keep water from freezing behind the edge and popping the bumper loose last winter. Jeesh, its been a long time.

Anyway, a quick spin of a wire brush got rid of that....and a barrel sand paper bit got rid of the old epoxy residue.

Here's a better look at the damage....

IMG_20171224_170639657.jpg

I got my kerosene heater fired up. The thing throws some fumes but it reminds me of being in my Dads trailer on the farm. Those were great days back then. Everyone smelled like woods, kerosene, and fresh cleaned deer this time of year.

Ohhh....and a little...well a lot of moonshine. :crazy:

Merry Christmas Everyone !!!!

I got out in the shed and got some work done with my Dremel. The seam sealer I used was about a quarter inch all the way around the top. I did this to keep water from freezing behind the edge and popping the bumper loose last winter. Jeesh, its been a long time.

Anyway, a quick spin of a wire brush got rid of that....and a barrel sand paper bit got rid of the old epoxy residue.

Here's a better look at the damage....

IMG_20171224_170639657.jpg

I got my kerosene heater fired up. The thing throws some fumes but it reminds me of being in my Dads trailer on the farm. Those were great days back then. Everyone smelled like woods, kerosene, and fresh cleaned deer this time of year.

Ohhh....and a little...well a lot of moonshine. :crazy:
I've fixed way worse than that with PBA Scott, should be simple. I used mesh dry wall tape on the backsides of my repairs too.

Off subject... Well....kinda...

I had a good friend give me an old Drill Doctor drill bit sharpener tool. I had a chance to play around with it a little.

I must say this thing is great !!!!

Fixed a few bits and used one to drill through 1/4 inch plate steel.

This was a test before jumping into my car trailer project. This tool just saved me 50 bucks....I like savin' money.