Dyno Tune This Saturday.

• Sponsors (?)

well it pulled lower then what I was hoping for but that's b/c there are a few things that need to be changed. It was pig rich at first but after fixing that and adding 10 degrees of timing it put down 333 RWHP and 338 RWTQ. What hurt me was my air intake system, to many bends so Im switching over to a fox TB set up and the other strike were the headers. I really should have long tube headers the shorty's are just to restrictive. Plus on top of all that Im only running 9:0:1 compression.

The good point is that I was running in the 12's at 110 MPH with the way the car was when he strapped it on the dyno putting down 306 RWHP and 295 RWTQ. So the tune picked me up 27 HP at the wheels and 43 TQ at the wheels so it should definitely rip at the track now.

I do have video but its still on the CD, its not my camcorder so Im not sure on how to get the video onto my computer I'll get it when my roommate gets back from VT

The only reason I was expecting the upper 300's in the HP was b/c the previous dyno sheet said it put down 340/390 but I dont see how that was possible on just the motor on that other set up that it had. Maybe that was the numbers on the Nitrous but I'll have to check w/ the previous owner to find out. Either way Im really happy w/ the tune the car runs a lot better now and you can definitely feel the HP picked up from the tune. Next its off to the track.

I asked ED to have the cam make power along with the heads and intake. I wanted all 3 to be making power at the same RPM's,not one dropping off as another is picking up. Im not disappointed in what it put down the numbers are the numbers but I think the main thing that is holding me back is that it needs long tube headers and it's only a 9:0:1 compression engine.

Andy Im glad you made it down it was nice to talk again, it had been awhile.

Ya it was cool to see your car being flogged by Pete.... :D ... she held up just fine... You feel some dif in the SOTP on the drive home???

I stuck around to see what that Trams Am had.... 266RWHP & 338...

Your buddies AMG was sick ... 506 RWHP bone stock....:jaw:

lol yeah that AMG is nasty would not think for a second that it has 505 at the wheels. Dont get me wrong it looks mean but hearing it run its so docile.

The SOTP factor was put put up a few notch's, the power is instant when you get on the throttle. Pete looked like he was having fun beating on my car haha. That's some really good TQ for that TA

Travis, I'm glad you are happy with your numbers but I expected you to lay down much more than you did, especially your torque number. I know you note the shorty headers and compression as limiting you, but I can't help to wonder if there is something else going on. I base this on the fact that I made 380rwhp/380rwtq with shorty headers, 8.9:1 compression, and with 331ci... it made 371rwhp/375rwtq with the 65mm 94-95 style TB setup and these are both with my old 302 based cam. I'd think you'd be at least in that range with your current setup. Are you absolutely sure that the valve train is setup properly? How much total timing are you running now and at what rpm does it hit max value? Have you done a compression and or a leak down test to ensure the bottom end is OK? Have you calculated your dynamic compression ratio yet?

BTW... when you backed out there was a nice puddle of oil out front ...you mentioned something about a leak???

I figured there would be, I could smell it burning off the mid pipe at the start of the dyno pulls. Its coming from the back of the intake its never sealed right w/ the RVT when it was first put on but that's being taken care of soon.

Travis, I'm glad you are happy with your numbers but I expected you to lay down much more than you did, especially your torque number. I know you note the shorty headers and compression as limiting you, but I can't help to wonder if there is something else going on. I base this on the fact that I made 380rwhp/380rwtq with shorty headers, 8.9:1 compression, and with 331ci... it made 371rwhp/375rwtq with the 65mm 94-95 style TB setup and these are both with my old 302 based cam. I'd think you'd be at least in that range with your current setup. Are you absolutely sure that the valve train is setup properly? How much total timing are you running now and at what rpm does it hit max value? Have you done a compression and or a leak down test to ensure the bottom end is OK? Have you calculated your dynamic compression ratio yet?

What about the valve train not being set up properly would lead to lower numbers? He started at 10 degrees timing and kept adding, he said he put in an additional 10 degrees from where it started. No compression or leak down test done, how would I calculate the dynamic compression ratio? Here is the Graph. I should get a compression/leak down test done just to be sure. I really thought it would pull more as well but after the tune figured it was just some other issues leading to the lower numbers. If the compression/leak down test resulted in some not so good info it would be a good excuse to put in a stroker kit with higher compression

Travis.jpg

The dyno is not off, hes a repubital tuner. It may be a tad rich in spots but Id rather have it that way then a tad lean. I wanted the A/F at 13 and it pretty much follows that line the whole way.

Paul what was your CR on that combo you had that pulled 370?

The dyno is not off, hes a repubital tuner. It may be a tad rich in spots but Id rather have it that way then a tad lean. I wanted the A/F at 13 and it pretty much follows that line the whole way.

Paul what was your CR on that combo you had that pulled 370?

I like to tune my cars at around 12.8:1 as they always seem to run better than when I tune them in the 13:1 range. I attribute this to the car seeing a higher load going down the track due to air resistance than it sees on the dyno, that's just my opinion though. My compression ratio was 8.9:1 when I made 371rwhp and I had the AFR 165's on the car at the time which had a 60cc combustion chamber. I'll getting new numbers with the AFR 185 comps here in a week or two if everything works out OK. I should be right at 9:1 now since these 185's have a 58cc chamber.

I just dont get it Paul, some people are saying the HP is right where it should be for that combo but I dont see how its possible. I know it needs LT and a Fox TB set up but that does not attribute all the power that it should be making. Im going to see about getting a leak down test done. Do you really think it could be something such as that, or maybe its in the heads? Maybe those 185's are not enough for the 351 w/ that cam and intake :shrug:

Is it me or does he look a bit rich on that graph? Could the dyno itself be off?

Its a little too lean actually. Especially since its going to run even more lean on the street since its not loaded on the dyno like it is on the street.

I'm with Paul, I always tune mine around 13.0 and have it richen up up top to around upper 12's. You're hitting near 14.0 at 5,000 rpm and thats on the dyno :eek: I do not think the slightly lean tune is the main problem though..

I do not think the slightly lean tune is the main problem though..

I do want to find out what the problem is though. Im going to start with a leak down test and see how things look after that. I want to eliminate bottom end issues before I start to look into combo/parts issues.

As an FYI the cam lift is .605/.565 and duration is 228/232