E303 VS. Steeda#18

cdog301

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2000
richmond ,ca
I am finally putting my motor togther and here is what I have AFR 165's GT40 intake DSS 306 shortblock 24lb injectors 65mm tb 76mm c&l MAM crane 1.7's
unfortunately my big concern is passing California smog I know that the E303 is Smog legal but I like the numbers on the Steeda #18 which one should I get? And can I still pass smog with the Steeda #18? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

These are the numbers I pulled up from the different cams with dyno 2000.

attachment.php

attachment.php

People really need to start researching cams themselves before they start to bash the E-303 without even knowing why. You actually have to look at the specs and know what the hell you're talking about (or real dyno info or experience) before you can comment on a camshaft......Just my opinion.

maverick0716 said:
People really need to start researching cams themselves before they start to bash the E-303 without even knowing why. You actually have to look at the specs and know what the hell you're talking about (or real dyno info or experience) before you can comment on a camshaft......Just my opinion.

I hope you are not critizing me about my post, because I was in no way bashing the e-cam. I originally wanted to get one, but many people, infact most of them being from this board, keep trying to talk me out of it. I am edging towards the b-cam as of now, but might end up going with the steeda #18, crane 2040, or perhaps even e-cam, due to emissions.

I run a #18 and I like it with my combo but you'd be losing out with it since it only has .480 lift (I use 1.72 rockers for .516 lift) and your AFR's will flow up to around .550. I would also vote for the XE270 as it has right around .550 lift If memory serves me,you could also go the custom route as well .

DON'T get the Trick Flow stage 1 cam!!! It isn't legal in CA... I just went through this and had to yank it out and it was a PITA. It is legal in every other state though. Although I have to give it to the stage 1. Its damn awsome and so is the price. I swaped in the E303 just for good measure.
Kevin

onefastlx said:
How about www.compcams.com bro? There are actually two "270" cams and one is meant for 1.7 rockers and I believe has a 114 lobe sep and the other has 112.

The XE270HR-12 is said to be meant for 1.7 rockers, but it actually has the exact same specs as the XE270HR-14 (other than the LSA) which is supposed to be for 1.6 rockers. I emailed Comp Cams and they said either one could be used with 1.6 or 1.7 rockers, it doesn't matter. With 1.6 rockers it has .512 lift and with 1.7's it has .544.