Egr ?

• Sponsors (?)

GTwannaB said:
what are the consequences of not running an egr valve if the car will run without it

i fail to see the performance benefit of the stupid thing so i wanna block it off

It's good for emissions, keep combustion chamber temperatures down, and it will not hurt performance. At WOT, the computer shuts it off, as well as the a/c.
Scott

at anything less than full throttle it helps combustion by feeding exhaust gasses back into the intake. at wide open throttle it is disabled and does not hinder performance at all. if you dont have a chip to disable it properly, i recommend leaving it since it doesnt hurt performance in any way.

One can also see part throttle detonation. The EGR's introduction of inert gasses allows the puter to advance timing and reduce injector pulsewidth. If the puter thinks EGR is there when it is not, that can lead to detonation in EGR conditions.

Only reason I deleted mine was because it stopped working several years ago and I never could get it working again. Then I couldn't get it back on after I took it off with my upper intake. There was no change when it stopped working and none when I fully removed the stuff. I have the plunger fixed so the the engine light doesn't come on.

Keep the EGR

GTwannaB said:
what are the consequences of not running an egr valve if the car will run without it. i fail to see the performance benefit of the stupid thing so i wanna block it off

Don't listen to people who say there are no consequences. Ignoring the better gas mileage and emissions points, the EGR cools the combustion chambers preventing detonation, or the dreaded ping thing which can kill an engine, or at least a head gasket at the very minimum if left unchecked. Pinging is a common problem on SN95s so keeping the EGR is a good thing. A car can ping at part throttle without you hearing an audible ping. Personally I ran with EGR deleted on my car for 3 years after I put my ported and milled heads on and had a hell of a time solving it. Finally I put EGR back on with my new intake and it stopped. If you want a cleaner engine bay and hate the SN95 plumbing do a fox TB conversion and run a Fox EGR valve, I did that and it is great!
Tim

18mustangs said:
Don't listen to people who say there are no consequences. Ignoring the better gas mileage and emissions points, the EGR cools the combustion chambers preventing detonation, or the dreaded ping thing which can kill an engine, or at least a head gasket at the very minimum if left unchecked. Pinging is a common problem on SN95s so keeping the EGR is a good thing. A car can ping at part throttle without you hearing an audible ping. Personally I ran with EGR deleted on my car for 3 years after I put my ported and milled heads on and had a hell of a time solving it. Finally I put EGR back on with my new intake and it stopped. If you want a cleaner engine bay and hate the SN95 plumbing do a fox TB conversion and run a Fox EGR valve, I did that and it is great!
Tim

:stupid: my car seems to be happier with it on.

18mustangs said:
If you want a cleaner engine bay and hate the SN95 plumbing do a fox TB conversion and run a Fox EGR valve, I did that and it is great!
Tim
Or turn the EGR function off in the puter via a tune/tuner.

DarkProphet said:
How does teh EGR cool the intake? isnt it hot exhaust gasses?
The EGR gasses are ~600*F and the chamber temps can be several times that. And the decreased volatility of the A/F mixture can lower chamber temps.